Leaving Las Vegas: The 51s in 2018

This is the primary forum for posting about the Mets and baseball in general.

Leaving Las Vegas: The 51s in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

The Mets have announced new Las Vegas manager Tony DeFrancesco's squad for 2018. Interestingly, their house cleaning included training staff. The Mets still haven't announced the big league training staff, so that means if 51s trainer Deb Iwawow isn't being given the mets job, she's hout.

The 2018 staff is as follows:

• Manager: Tony DeFrancesco
    TonManaged the AAA Fresno Grizzlies in the Houston system the last three years. He was the interim manager of the Astros back in 2012.

• Pitching Coach: Glenn Abbott
    Glennie had been the pitching coach for Binghamton the last five seasons. Everybody's played for Glennie.

• Hitting Coach: Joel Chimelis
    Joel, whose name sounds like he should be the president of FOX Searchlight Pictures of something, was also a long-time member of the Astros' development team, having served most recently as the Low-A Midwest League Quad City Bandits hitting coach. Joel is also a rare guy who actually lost his chance to the 1994 players strike. He took the field in spring training as a replacement, and though nothing came of that, folks remembered, and when he was called up to join the actual non-replacement Giants in 1995, the players shunned him, and fearing a player revolt, the Giants sent him down after two days and no appearances.)\

• Bullpen Coach: Jeremy Accardo
    Having finished his pitching career as recently as 2015, Accardo spent 2017 as pitching coach of the rookie-level Gulf Coast Mets. I didn't even know minor league teams hired bullpen coaches.

• Athletic Trainer: Grant Hufford
    Grant comes to the Mets from — you guessed it — the Astros, having most recently served with the short-season low-A Appalachian League Greenville Astros, keeping them in top condition for their matchups with the Kingsport Mets. Before that he was with the Lawrence Orthopedic Surgery Clinic in Lawrence, Kansas and served as athletic trainer for the Baldwin High School teams. Now he's a heartbeat from the big leagues. Go, Grant!

• Assistant Athletic Trainer: Kiyoshi Tada
    Kiyoshi Tada has been in the Mets organization since 2011, mostly with Brooklyn, but he worked for the low-A Columbia Fireflies in the Sally League last season. Assistant trainers also sound like a luxury in the minors, but Yoshi wants you to know that he is not here for your bullshit.

• Strength and Conditioning Coach: Josh Fields
    Last but not least, Josh Fields is the only member of the Las Vegas staff returning from 2017, so I'll bet my Marshall Crenshaw vinyl that he's got a hook with Barwis.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Return to The Baseball Forum