Adopted: Brandon Nimmo

...with apologies to The Sons of Sam Horn.

Re: Adopted: Brandon Nimmo

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 am

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Can't wait till the new owners change that award's name.
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby G-Fafif » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:52 pm

G-Fafif
Mike Vail: Owner, 23-Game Hitting Streak

The learning continued in AFL ball, per Davidoff in the Pest.
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby G-Fafif » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:04 am

G-Fafif

While completing transfer of adoption papers for Cam Maron to the prospect page at the Oester Bar in Cincinnati, I noticed I misposted this Brandon Nimmo article from September in the Cam thread. So for those who might have missed how 2011's No. 1 draft pick was looking in Double-A...

Nimmo earned Florida State League midseason All-Star honors while with St. Lucie before his promotion to Binghamton. Combined between the two levels, Nimmo this season has scored 97 runs, driven in 51 runs, hit 21 doubles, nine triples, 10 home runs and logged an on-base percentage of .396 to go along with a .429 slugging percentage.

"We're very pleased with where Brandon is right now," DePodesta said in an email. "Since this is just his age 21 season, we're very happy that he has spent the second half of the season in AA and is already making the adjustments to succeed at that level. For a guy who didn't play with the amateur competition in somewhere like Florida or Southern California, he has been very quick to make adjustments at each and every level."

Big things ahead

Nimmo has just begun to tap into his power potential with added muscle this season on his 6-foot-3 frame. He has as many home runs this season as his previous seasons combined.

B-Met manager Pedro Lopez has put Nimmo in the leadoff spot 41 times in 61 games, but he believes his future will include batting near the middle of the lineup.

"I'm almost positive that's going to be his role whenever he gets to the big leagues," Lopez said. "... He's got some pop. He drive the ball to all fields."

Now that he's no longer chasing big brother, Nimmo has has found other driving forces.

"Now I'm chasing my personal dream of being a major-league baseball player," Nimmo said. "Once I got drafted it's all about leaving no regrets that I gave it everything that I had. I like to think that I'm not only making a name for myself, and I'm trying to uphold a reputation of my family — obviously I want the Nimmo name to be a well-known name and I want to honor my parents and my brother — but also just the fact that people hear Wyoming and they chuckle."

Nimmo bristles at the idea that baseball does not count or is not played at the same level in Wyoming as in other parts of the country.

"In Cheyenne, baseball continues to get bigger and bigger and kids dreams continue to get bigger and bigger," Lain said. "People follow him and not just in our program. People across the state follow Brandon."

Mets fans all over the Northeast also follow Nimmo. On the road or at home, he does interviews and he stops to takes pictures and talk with folks who are eagerly awaiting his arrival in New York. Their expectations never seem to overwhelm him. He greets them all with a smile.

Then again, it shouldn't be surprising considering Nimmo embraced his brother's mantle as the guy paving the way for an entire region of baseball players.

"If anybody out there that's from where I am back in Wyoming — and I know that South Dakota is similar to that and North Dakota — if they have a dream that they want to be a professional baseball player, a major-league baseball player," Nimmo says, "I want to be one of those guys that broke through the barriers and said, 'If you work hard enough. If you make the sacrifices and have no regrets about what you do. You work as hard as you can, then dreams can come true.' "
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby MFS62 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 am

MFS62
Brian Cole, Outfield Prospect, 1978-2001

Two possibilities:
1) We saw it there, but were too polite to mention it.
2) Cam wasn't a highly rated prospect, so nobody read that thread.

Not sure which it was. :)

Later
I'm smarter than you think you are.

Postby G-Fafif » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:59 pm

G-Fafif

I am now morally obligated to root for Cam to hit a solo home run off some transient Met reliever when the Mets are up by nine runs in the ninth inning someday just so I can say, "See...?"
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby G-Fafif » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 am

G-Fafif

Brandon was among the first cuts from the major league camp. He'll be 22 on March 27. He's been in pro ball since 1966, or so it seems.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby G-Fafif » Mon May 04, 2015 1:17 pm

G-Fafif

Left a game last week with a knee "pinch," later termed not serious. Back in the lineup of late.

This from MetsBlog:

Nimmo, who had been hitting .250 with a .750 OPS before the game, was the team’s first-round pick, No. 13 overall, in the 2011. Baseball America recently ranked him the No. 46 overall prospect in baseball, and the best hitting prospect in the team’s farm system.

“His game still needs refining, but Nimmo’s on-base skills and quick hands give him the potential to be a solid Major Leaguer in time,” MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo wrote in January.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby Frayed Knot » Wed May 06, 2015 11:26 am

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

John Sickels: [Nimmo is] hitting .372 in his last 10 games and .304/.375/.457 overall for Double-A Binghamton. He played half of 2014 in the Eastern League and it will be interesting to see how quickly the Mets move him up to Triple-A if he remains this hot.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Vic Sage » Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Vic Sage
Tim Leary, failed blue-chip prospect and LSD enthusiast

screw AAA. He can draw walks so that apparently makes him a useful major league RFer right now.
"It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions."

Postby G-Fafif » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:07 pm

G-Fafif

An Eastern League All-Star! A Futures Game participant! Not yet eligible for full AARP membership!

And mentioned here and there as the prospect the Mets would be willing to part with.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner
Hall of Famer/Broadcaster

I'm starting to think of Brandon Nimmo as Shawn Abner.

Postby Edgy MD » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Good. We could use a Kevin McReynolds on this team.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Frayed Knot

Promoted to AAA
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Vic Sage » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 am

Vic Sage

Edgy MD wrote:Good. We could use a Kevin McReynolds on this team.

no, not again.

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Edgy MD

Went 1-2 with a RS, an RBI, two walks, and a SB.

That's a very Nimmo debut!!

Postby dgwphotography » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:01 pm

dgwphotography
Vic Sage wrote:

no, not again.

I believe Edgy is referring to the Kevin McReynolds we had for the first four years of his Met tenure, not the puffy malcontent who came after...
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk

Postby dgwphotography » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 pm

dgwphotography
Brandon has quite the beautiful goatee growth:

A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk

Postby Vic Sage » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 am

Vic Sage

dgwphotography wrote:
Vic Sage wrote:

no, not again.

I believe Edgy is referring to the Kevin McReynolds we had for the first four years of his Met tenure, not the puffy malcontent who came after...

yeah, i wasn't that crazy about the first McReynolds either.

Look, I know he was a very good player, but he wasn't a great player. He was a .270-280/20-25hr/85-95rbi/70-80r guy with a decent arm and a decent glove, who ran ok. He did everything fairly well, but he didn't do anything great. Plus he was a whining malcontent and a dog, and the next time he runs hard after a ball will be the first time . Plus we traded future MVP Kevin Mitchell to get him and only got a washed up Bret Saberhagen when we finally had enough of him. Plus i had a pathological hate for him on a genetic level which is otherwise hard to explain except that, for the same reason we've just had a Wilmer Flores love affair, with him demonstrating how much he cares about staying a Met, the sense that McReynolds had no real interest or enthusiasm for being here and would much rather have been huntin' possum in Arkansas just infuriated me.

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 am

Edgy MD

Vic Sage wrote:Plus he was a whining malcontent and a dog.

I missed this. More typical is that they failure of the Mets to return to the World Series made him a convenient scapegoat and whipping boy on WFAN. As if it was his fault that Carter and Hernandez aged and Gooden and Strawberry used.

Vic Sage wrote:...would much rather have been huntin' possum in Arkansas just infuriated me.

The source of this is usually a single quote in the 1988 playoffs saying that he either goes to the World Series or goes hunting (no mention of possum) and either way he's good, meaning to answer a question about whether he will be affected by pressure. "No," he was trying to say, "I'm not going to succumb to pressure, because I've achieved a focused detachment from my desires."

This, of course, got turned into "McReynolds doesn't care" by scapegoating media. The fact that he had been a rip-roaring force in the previous few games of the NLCS, including scoring the winning run in game one — stealing one from the indomitable Orel Hershiser by running through the brick wall that was Mike Scoscia — was quickly forgotten.

The McReynolds Myth needs to die.

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:08 pm

Edgy MD

Back to the point, Nimmo batted last today in Las Vegas for Wally Backman. He got pissed, and went out and went 3-4 with a walk and his first AAA homer.

A 17-hit night for the 51s

Postby G-Fafif » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:03 pm

G-Fafif

Old Man Nimmo is back in the Vegas lineup after having missed a few games as the result of (per Rubin) taking a ball off the nose in the cage. Went 2-for-3 in his return.

The eventual promotion of Nimmo should coincide with the acquisition of the White Sox' shortstop Ramirez. Imagine the high jinks that will ensue when Brandon and Alexei arrive at Citi Field and meet Branden and Alexa.

Yeah, just imagine...
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby G-Fafif » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:43 pm

G-Fafif

Walking boot for the prospect who's been schlepping his way through the system since Twenty Aught Eleven. Partially torn tendon in the left foot. He's on the 40-man and is scheduled to be in Spring Training with the big club.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby G-Fafif » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:31 pm

G-Fafif

Brandon's out of the boot, but likely to start the season on the DL.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby Frayed Knot » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Frayed Knot

G-Fafif wrote:Brandon's out of the boot ...

Good thing we're not in England otherwise this would sound like he's just been released after spending most of the winter locked in someone's car trunk.

Postby G-Fafif » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:20 pm

G-Fafif

"Welcome to Foot Talk. I'm your host Adam Rubin, and my guest today is 2011 Mets 1st Round Draft Pick, Brandon Nimmo. Brandon, welcome."

"Thanks for having me, Adam."

"What can you tell us about your foot, Brandon? A lot of people want to know."

"Well, Adam, it's a simple story and you can read it right here"

"That's good to know. Thanks for joining us today, Brandon. This has been Foot Talk. Stay tuned for Car Talk, where our special guest will be Yoenis Cespedes...again."
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

PreviousNext

Return to Adopt-a-Prospect Forum