Holiday Music

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: Holiday Music

Postby Edgy MD » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Isaak is fun, if only to get slightly varied versions of Elvis and Orbison. Almost all of his selections are of the over-played, over-recorded, mid-century, cheesy variety, but he adds gravity and romance to the cheese somehow. I guess that's part of what he does.

Here's the only song, I think, that Monkees performed live on the show.

I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:38 am

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Nice singing by the Monkees there.

I'm giving you guys the gift of having streamed the cheesily named (NOT SO) SILENT NIGHT by REO Speedwagon and can report it's a terrible holiday album. They perform all the classics in an attempt to trick you into buying into this idea that "Hey! REO Speedwagon can rock ANYTHING! That's how rockin' they are!" but boy does it suck. I can name a dozen more satisfyingly rocked versions of nearly every track on here, and of course they don't ALL rock, they also want to demonstrate their awesome dexterity with vocals and country and family-friendliness and what-not. What a fucking mess.

Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby MFS62 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:51 am

MFS62
Brian Cole, Outfield Prospect, 1978-2001

C'mon, JCL. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Later
I'm smarter than you think you are.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:32 am

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

I'm all for rockin' Christmases and I sort of root for REO Speedwagon to surprise me since my inclination is to hate them and I don't trust myself. But can't get into it.

Now, here's a killer recording:

Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby cooby » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:12 pm

cooby
John Milner, OF, 1971-1977 - The Hammer

Was nice to hear regular music again. I have heard Car Wash twice so far today

Also, that Holly and Ivy is great!

Postby cooby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:11 am

cooby
John Milner, OF, 1971-1977 - The Hammer

John Cougar Lunchbucket wrote:OK, I busted out the old playlist for a spin and annual add-ons.

New xmas albums this year from Cheap Trick (!!), Hanson (a second one??) and Herb Alpert. Trick includes a hot take on Kinks' Father Christmas; and the Hanson one manages to improve McCartney's awful "Wonderful Christmastime" (a little). The Alpert one is easy, put it on a decorate a tree.

Nobody uses Deezer except me I think but here's my old mix list, I play it on "random" but more often find the mood I want from this and play the associated album. http://www.deezer.com/playlist/14756085 ... medium=web

As a proud mother (at the time) of two teenagers I must say sat that I loved Hanson and I still miss them

Previous

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum