The ice was here, the ice was there. 2017-18 hockey thread

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: The ice was here, the ice was there. 2017-18 hockey thre

Postby Edgy MD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Frayed Knot wrote:and then the Goo Goo Dolls -- apparently from Buffalo ... who knew?

I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

One thing I either never knew as a lapsed hockey fan (or maybe I did know but had forgotten) was that the OT period had morphed from 4-on-4 down to the even more gimmicky 3-on-3.
And then -- and I definitely didn't know this -- if a penalty is called during this time (as there was in today's game) instead of the penalized team losing a player the other side gets to add one making the resulting power play a 4-on-3 situation.
I suppose that makes sense as 3-on-2 would be really silly even by NHL standards, but it's still weird having there be more players on the ice as the result of a penalty than there were before.

and I think I conflate the Goo-Goo Dolls with Kajagoogoo
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Edgy MD » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Edgy MD

The Goo-Goo Dolls are to the 90s what Bryan Adams was to the eighties, and maybe what, say Eric Carmen was to the seventies. They really wanted to rawk, or at least let on that they did. They even hunted down Paul Westerberg and got him to cut a few tracks with them. But then they had success with a ballad, and got stuck in a rut of success with ballad after ballad.

Postby LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:33 pm

LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr
Harold W. O'Shaughnessy, Senior VP and Treasurer

I mean, they once did an okay cover of "Bitch," but I would never call the Goo Goo Dolls' oeuvre "rock." "Pop rock," or whatever "alternative" was. Even pre-ballad, they were sonically wussier than, say, Sebadoh.

You know what does rock, though? The Rangers' performance in outdoor games, which now stands at 4-0 (2-0 in Winter Classics, 2-0 in Stadium Series games). Also rocking? The gimmicky 3-3 overtime format, which increases the odds of a tiebreak via actual play, rather than shootout.
"Classic rock NEVER takes the weekend off."

Postby 41Forever » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 am

41Forever
376) Al Moran, SS, 3B, 1963-1964

Edgy MD wrote:The Goo-Goo Dolls are to the 90s what Bryan Adams was to the eighties, and maybe what, say, Eric Carmen was to the seventies. They really wanted to rawk, or at least let on that they did. They even hunted down Paul Westerberg and got him to cut a few tracks with them. But then they had success with a ballad, and got stuck in a rut of success with ballad after ballad.

I think they were almost a punk band when they started. Was never a big fan, but I do think "Iris" is great.

I don't get the appeal as a fan of the stadium games. Outdoor hockey is cool, but even the best seats are miles from the ice. I'm guessing that just being a part of it is fun.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:58 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Was a fan of Superstar Car Wash, but they lost me soon after.

The Islanders have really hit a rough spot. It's as though they're incapable of winning if they don't score 5 goals a night, but they're always capable of scoring 5 a night. It's a tough bargain for them. Trying to play a more defensive or physical game interferes with their passing and scoring strength. They need a superstar goalkeeper to sustain themselves. And then maybe go all-in on the offense.

Three fights tonight against the Flyers!
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Frayed Knot

The NHL is now less than 50% Canadian born.
American players, virtually non-existent until the 70's, now make up over 1/4 of the league with various European countries comprising around another 25%
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:40 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

Something I picked up in the BEST GAME book; the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA opened the door to Europeans. They hired a buttload of Russians and Swedes (to accompany Bobby Hull) while the NHL had no interest.

Another thing I didn't realize, the WHA Jets became the and still are the Phoenix Coyotes; the current-day Jets are the former expansion Atlanta Thrashers.

That was an insane Islander-Devils game the other day. Islanders won in the 5th round shootout 5-4, but only after blowing a 2 leads then needing 2 goals late in the 3rd period to tie, then fighting off a power play (on a bullshit tripping call on Taveras) during 3-on-3 overtime!

Here's Halak "celebrating" the goal that got them down 4-2:

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Frayed Knot

John Cougar Lunchbucket wrote:Something I picked up in the BEST GAME book; the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA opened the door to Europeans. They hired a buttload of Russians and Swedes (to accompany Bobby Hull) while the NHL had no interest.

That sounds about right.
The Rangers signed two Swedish *Stars* a short time later to great fanfare in Andres Hedberg & Ulf Nilsson. The accompanying publicity from that then further kick-started the European invasion.
The Swedes were first followed by the Finns (although I don't think either Neil or Tim ever played) Then, when the iron curtain started to rip, came the Czechs and later the Russians plus a small sprinkling of 'other'.

Another thing I didn't realize, the WHA Jets became the and still are the Phoenix Coyotes; the current-day Jets are the former expansion Atlanta Thrashers.

Of the four WHA (I always want to put a ? after WHA because that's how we used to pronounce it - as in: Wha Happened?) teams the NHL absorbed, only Edmonton remains where they were.
Hartford left for Raleigh, NC; the Quebec Nordique to Denver; Win-a-Pig to Phoenix.
I remember at the time some NHL exec saying that he didn't think there were more than 20 good hockey cities in North America and that they, the then 17-team NHL, didn't have them all, so that was part of the reason for sucking in the supposed best of the WHAs even though they later abandoned three of those four locations even as their league is now 50% larger (not sure it's better, but it's larger).
Leaving Quebec City was a shame as that's a unique city in NA, although at least there Denver was a viable destination. Hartford simply suffered from being neither NYC or Boston yet not really being a market of its own.
When they left Winnipeg some said that that metropolitan area didn't even fit the criteria for an IHL city so I was surprised when they went back, but after failing in Atlanta a second time (the first Atlanta team were co-expansionists with the Islanders but they're now in Calgary) there were only so many alternatives.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:59 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

Ironic that Phoenix has been an abject financial failure, went Chapter 11 and was taken over by the league like the Expos were.

The returning Jets have been very successful at the gate even though they've never won a single playoff game.

The Winnipeg fans weren't all that enamored with the Europeans anyway: They wanted the same Canadian lumberjacks every other team had.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:58 am

Mets Willets Point
73) John Maine, SP, 2006-2010

I always think that games between San Jose and Winnipeg should be accompanied by a Leonard Bernstein soundtrack.
Mr. Met knows; he's seen some shit.

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 am

Edgy MD

And I think of San José vs. Phoenix as Burt Bacharach vs. Jimmy Webb.

Postby d'Kong76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

Got an Urban Ass Kicking going on here... 5-1 Icelanders. They just ran Lundqvist.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

I'm watching. Islanders look fantastic offensively yet typically in danger of giving up a few. If Halak wasn't also having a good day...

Barzal cannot be stopped. He is one exciting player.

Postby d'Kong76 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

Had the goalie thing completely bassackwards, Lundqvist was coming in after
five goals, not leaving.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

Another thrilling Islanders game. They give you a show every night. A shitshow sometimes, but s show nonetheless. Tonight they were outshot something like 50-20, blew a pair of 2-goal leads, lost another defenseman to injury, and won in OT at Montreal.

Previous

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum