Our pets

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Our pets

Postby cooby » Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 pm

cooby
John Milner, OF, 1971-1977 - The Hammer

Today I took one of our kittens, Rusty, to the vet for a procedure...when he breathes, he makes a whistling or wheezing noise. It is utterly enchanting but since I have asthma I wanted to be sure he was healthy. Turns out his soft palette is malformed, partially blocking his nasal passages. His doctor says it won't be a problem since he can breathe through his mouth and is kitten-y active, but we could take him to Cornell if we wanted it repaired. I've heard about Cornell prices from friends, I love Rusty dearly, but if his vet says he doesn't need it, well....

Anyway, we arrived at 8 am and another car pulled in right before us. It took this person a minute or two to get her pet out of the car, and I held the door for her...it was a calico kitty wrapped in a blanket. She was crying. She had brought it in for final procedures (okay, cremation). We were all in tears. I've been there...

I know it took her that long to get her kitty out of the car because she just couldn't face it :( I feel awful :(

Re: Our pets

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Fri May 20, 2016 2:50 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Our cat Saturn has the same deal, mostly when he sleeps, which is most of the time. He is living a happy life so we don't worry about it much
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby Fman99 » Fri May 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Fman99
Sidd Finch, P, 1985, 168 MPH

This is Mookie. He will turn 14 around the same time that the United States turns 240.

He has lived with my wife and I since before the kids were born and is the only pet they know. So far, too, he has been free of any health issues. It helps that he never goes outside.
POW! You've been Fmanned!

Postby cooby » Fri May 20, 2016 3:00 pm

cooby

Yes, as I say it is part of Rusty's charm....we can be lying in bed at night and hear this wheezing coming across the bedroom floor and just burst into laughter. He's a total delight :D

Postby cooby » Fri May 20, 2016 3:01 pm

cooby

Mookie is beautiful, Fman! We just have one cat that goes out, but never ever without me with him. That is Bennie and he is a big strong black panther Tomcat, who is afraid of every neighbor we have :D

Postby soupcan » Sat May 21, 2016 9:06 pm

soupcan
Howie Rose. Putting it in the books since 1995.

I had a Dalmatian named Mookie whose ultimate demise was related to the forum almost 10 years ago (crazy!). He was 12 when he died.

Our dog since - Buckner - is now almost 10 and she has had two(!) ACL repairs at Cornell. Yes cooby, very pricey indeed.

Postby d'Kong76 » Sat May 21, 2016 10:49 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

I'm not a cat person. I'm allergic, but not as much so as I've been in
the past. Cats love me, especially cats that generally don't socialize. We
have a friend who has a cat no one sees for days at a time, a hide-y cat. I go
to their house, cat's in my lap. Strange.

My best buddy:

Postby Chad Ochoseis » Sat May 21, 2016 11:07 pm

Chad Ochoseis
267) Chuck Hiller, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, 1965-1967

cooby wrote:Today I took one of our kittens, Rusty, to the vet for a procedure

Fman99 wrote:This is Mookie

I'm wondering if there's an entire team's worth of Metly pet names in the CPF. Someone's got to have a cat named Felix. A parakeet named Yoenis? A hamster named Cleon?
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Postby themetfairy » Sat May 21, 2016 11:29 pm

themetfairy
Lady Met -- Mascot, 1964-present

Our late dog's middle name was Dykstra, if that qualifies.
In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, "I have finished." There is a lot of satisfaction in that - Fred Lebow

Postby cooby » Sun May 22, 2016 6:43 am

cooby

A couple of summers ago, we found four kittens in our yard. I named the little boy Rey-Rey, but his new owners renamed him Martini.

(My previous, and much missed, next door neighbor Ray thought I named it after him, the Doofus. He's a Yankee fan)
Last edited by cooby on Sun May 22, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Sun May 22, 2016 7:06 am

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Our departed cat Skipper was named in honor of Bobby Valentine.
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby cooby » Sun May 22, 2016 4:55 pm

cooby

I think I still have a picture of Skipper on my hard drive. Pretty girl

Edit: yes I do. She was a beauty!

Postby Rockin' Doc » Sun May 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Rockin' Doc
Willie Mays. Say Hey Kid, Mets 1B-OF 1972-73

d'Kong76 wrote:I'm not a cat person. I'm allergic, but not as much so as I've been in
the past. Cats love me, especially cats that generally don't socialize. We
have a friend who has a cat no one sees for days at a time, a hide-y cat. I go
to their house, cat's in my lap. Strange.

My wife and I had a huge male Maine Coon cat named O.D. when I was in school in Chicago. He was an indoor cat that just loved people. One of my friends, Tim, was raised on a large farm in Iowa and his hatred of cats was well known to everyone, except O.D. Whenever he was at our apartment, Tim seemed to be O.D.'s favorite, regardless of who else was visiting. Tim believed "the only good cat is a dead cat". Tim's wife thought it was hilarious to watch O.D. shadow Tim throughout their visits.

A few weeks before graduation we hosted a small party and had 4-5 couples crammed into our tiny apartment. As usual, O.D. sought Tim out and followed him everywhere. Near the end of the evening, Tim's wife told me, "You know, Tim really does hate cats. He would never admit this to you, but he actually likes O.D. I think he would miss the attention if O.D. were to ignore him when we came over here."
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war
I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you

Postby d'Kong76 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:33 am

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

I think many cats know when they are in the midst of a non-cat person. Other
friends of our at times have had several cats at a time. Wildfire was a long-haired
white and orange cat that I was particularly allergic to. She liked to climb on me
and get all in my face until my neck broke out in a rash. What fun! Stimpy was
a stray they took in and he was a beast. He was so big and muscular he was
scary. He like to climb on me and if I tried to move him he'd bite me. He didn't
know better, he was just wild, but his teeth were f'n sharp as all hell. He was a
short haired solid grey cat with giant yellowish eyes. He looked like Satan's cat.
Last edited by d'Kong76 on Mon May 23, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby cooby » Mon May 23, 2016 8:46 pm

cooby

I read someone that people who are allergic to cats make excellent cat magnets.

I allergic to dogs and they think I'm really keen

Postby G-Fafif » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:35 am

G-Fafif
Mike Vail: Owner, 23-Game Hitting Streak

Hozzie the Cat, 14, nearly bought it tonight. Was experiencing seizures on top of a UTI, on top of dehydration, on top of diabetes (actually, it all stems from the diabetes). Breathing was not a strong suit when we arrived at the pet emergency room and the vet there was ready to "help him along," as it were, until he discerned through asking that maybe it was low blood sugar causing his immediate problems. Yup, basically. So he's not being helped along, the euphemism for euthanasia, at least not yet. Instead he's spending the night being cared for in kitty ICU, which we tried to avoid for a few days via antibiotics for his infection. But he wasn't eating or drinking very much, despite some gradual improvement in demeanor and appetite, and he probably got too high a dose of insulin in relation to his lack of food intake. Either way, he was going to have to get hydrated and looked at more closely. That was our vet's recommendation on Monday after he first seemed alarmingly off Sunday (ten minutes after he was business as usual; go figure). Our vet wanted to refer him to a hospital, but I had flashbacks to Hozzie's tabby predecessor, Casey, who went through three cancer surgeries, the third at a serious animal hospital and it was more punishing than the tumor that kept growing back. Every creature is different, of course, thus there we go, up another level in the ol' feline industrial complex.

With all the affection I can muster, stupid cat.
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby themetfairy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:10 am

themetfairy
Lady Met -- Mascot, 1964-present

Best wishes to Hozzie for a speedy recovery.

And best wishes to you and Stephanie.

{{Hugs}}
In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, "I have finished." There is a lot of satisfaction in that - Fred Lebow

Postby MFS62 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:58 am

MFS62
Brian Cole, Outfield Prospect, 1978-2001

themetfairy wrote:Best wishes to Hozzie for a speedy recovery.

Ditto.

Later
I'm smarter than you think you are.

Postby G-Fafif » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:36 pm

G-Fafif

Our boy is rallying. Hozzie ate like a cat, we're told. "Alert response." "No longer recumbent." "Definitely seeing improvement." Still getting poked and prodded and whatnot. Waiting to hear more.
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby Chad Ochoseis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Chad Ochoseis

Go, Hozzie!!

Postby Chad Ochoseis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Chad Ochoseis

Rockin' Doc wrote:
My wife and I had a huge male Maine Coon cat named O.D. when I was in school in Chicago. He was an indoor cat that just loved people. One of my friends, Tim, was raised on a large farm in Iowa and his hatred of cats was well known to everyone, except O.D. Whenever he was at our apartment, Tim seemed to be O.D.'s favorite, regardless of who else was visiting. Tim believed "the only good cat is a dead cat". Tim's wife thought it was hilarious to watch O.D. shadow Tim throughout their visits.

A few weeks before graduation we hosted a small party and had 4-5 couples crammed into our tiny apartment. As usual, O.D. sought Tim out and followed him everywhere. Near the end of the evening, Tim's wife told me, "You know, Tim really does hate cats. He would never admit this to you, but he actually likes O.D. I think he would miss the attention if O.D. were to ignore him when we came over here."

Maine Coons are basically dogs with whiskers.

Postby Rockin' Doc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:56 am

Rockin' Doc
Willie Mays. Say Hey Kid, Mets 1B-OF 1972-73

G-Fafif wrote:Our boy is rallying. Hozzie ate like a cat, we're told. "Alert response." "No longer recumbent." "Definitely seeing improvement." Still getting poked and prodded and whatnot. Waiting to hear more.

Good news. Wishing Hozzie a full recovery.
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war
I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you

Postby G-Fafif » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:37 am

G-Fafif

Hozzie made it home in time to watch his cousins the Tigers maul Logan Verrett. Or to sleep through their unsightly actions. He's punctuating his naps with occasional trips across the living room carpet to have a look and sniff around. Then it's back to resting. Not really up and at 'em yet (his is the appetite that made 3 AM awakenings infamous), but not visibly on any unwanted doorstep.

In my capacity as cat spokesman, i issue a statement thanking you all for your good wishes.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby cooby » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:01 pm

cooby

My kitty Rusty also spent last night in the hospital. In addition to his above mentioned sinus issues, we found out that he also has asthma or a lungworm (ew).

He is home and sleeping under the baby's bed right now. I hope he perks up soon, but he at least isn't walking around making a choking noise any more. Very scary.

Glad your kitty is home and recuperating, GFAFIF!

Postby G-Fafif » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:54 am

G-Fafif

Rusty's preparing to come through in a pinch. I can feel it.

Somewhere between 4:00 and 4:30 this morning I felt a set of claws on my elbow. Hozzie was swiping at me to get up and feed him. That's a move that's been missing from his repertoire for a while. As I was preparing his and Avery's pre-dawn snack, he swiped at my left leg. I instinctively kicked back at him.

Except for his not actually eating what I gave him and his far raspier than normal cry, we're reapproaching business as usual. Kitten steps.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Next

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum