Game of Thrones

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Game of Thrones

Postby Ceetar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

what, no thread about this that I can find? Well then, here.

The last two episodes have certainly been epic and conclusive haven't they?
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby TransMonk » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:49 pm

TransMonk
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

I think this past season was the best yet.

What do we know about the schedule for wrapping the series up? My birds have told me there are to be two seasons left, but that HBO may resort to shorter seasons (6 or 7 episodes per season instead of the normal 10) in an attempt to draw out the reign of a winner without the cost of paying all of their stars millions of dollars for the extra episodes.
I am a patient boy...I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.

Postby Ceetar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Ceetar

TransMonk wrote:I think this past season was the best yet.

What do we know about the schedule for wrapping the series up? My birds have told me there are to be two seasons left, but that HBO may resort to shorter seasons (6 or 7 episodes per season instead of the normal 10) in an attempt to draw out the reign of a winner without the cost of paying all of their stars millions of dollars for the extra episodes.

That's what I've heard too. I'm not sure 14 episodes is enough for me to see what I want to see. Don't want it rushed.

Postby Centerfield » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 am

Centerfield
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

Waitress? This pie tastes a little funny...

Postby Ceetar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:15 am

Ceetar

Littlefinger lost that battle with Sansa, as the North DID rally around Jon. I wonder how he responds.

Postby Vic Sage » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 am

Vic Sage
Tim Leary, failed blue-chip prospect and LSD enthusiast

I know a lot of folks complained about how slow this season was, but I thought it was terrific, particularly the last 2 episodes.

After 5 years of watching characters I care about suffer horribly, and sometimes die, and watching their noble plans come tumbling down around them, this season was about giving those characters their needed victories, in order to pick them up, dust them off and prepare them for the final battle to come. Things have to get worse before they get better... but if they never get better, then that's not an epic tale; it's just an unrelentingly depressing expenditure of emotional energy. So I was glad to see:

[ALL SPOILERS!!]

With regard to the Starks and their friends -
* Sansa coming into her own (feeding Ramsay to his dogs!) and coming home, while using Littlefinger to regain Winterfell but not giving in to him;
* Jon's resurrection, revenge against the Night's watch and reunion with his sister, as well as his acceptance of the crown as King of the North, with the excellent Ser Davos and the Wildling horde at his side, and the banishment of the Red Witch;
* Arya finally returning to Westeros, now as a trained assassin, beginning her vengeance quest with the Freys (avenging the Red Wedding!);
* Bran’s emergence as a powerful figure, the 3-eyed crow, and Rickon’s death serving as a key factor in the battle of the bastards;
* Bran’s rescue by the timely return of Uncle Benjen, and his possible role in the battle against the Night’s King, and by the heroic sacrifice of Hodor (as well as the tragic origin of his name);
* Theon finally on a path toward redemption, saving Sansa and returning to his sister's side as they become allies to the Dragon Queen in order to reclaim leadership of the Iron Islands;
* Lady Brienne finally able to fulfill her oath to Caitlin Stark by rescuing Sansa, with Pod still alive and at her side;
* Sam standing up to his dad, stealing his sword, and arriving at the amazing Citadel with Gilly and little Sam by his side;

With regard to the Targareons, etal. --
* Danerys's fiery escape from the Khals and her acceptance as the true Khaleesi of the Dothraki horde, as well as her regaining control over all her dragons, who are now as fierce as we always hoped they'd be in a final defeat of the slavers of Essos;
* The re-emergence of Tyrion as Hand of the Queen, finally safe and ensconced in her court, and his growing relationship with her, as well as with Verys, Grey Worm and Messandi;
* The reconciliation between Ser Jorah Mormont and Danerys, with the possibility of Jorah finding a cure for grayscale left open;
* Bran's vision, implying that, yes, in fact R+L+J [on edit: R+L=J... sorry about that]

And with regard to the Lannisters, Tyrells, etc. --
* The intolerably arrogant High Sparrow, as well as the scheming, deceitful Margery Tyrell, her pathetic brother, and all the incompetent members of the small council, all finally destroyed by Cersei all in one explosive moment;
* Jamie developing his relationships with the wonderful Bronn and noble Brienne, continuing on his own road of redemption, and finally seeing his sister for the monster she is as she ascends to the Iron Throne over their last child’s body;
* Speaking of redemption, here comes the Hound, with the Brothers without Banners; and
* The Martells and Tyrells scheming together down in Dorne to team up with Danerys and bring the Lannisters down.

There’s also been some deaths of bad guys (grand master Pycelle, the renegade Brothers, Ramsey, Walder Frey, the waif, the slaver leaders, Alliser Thorne) and the introduction of a great new character, Lady Mormont, the tween girl queen of Bear Island who shames the other lords of the north into supporting Jon Snow.

But I’m still wondering what happened to Ghost? Where was he during the Battle of the Bastards?

Anyway, with a King in the North, a Queen on the Iron Throne, and the Queen-to-be on her ships heading west, we are set up for a final season (whether aired as a single season or broken up into 2) that have all the players on the board and ready to go.

I’m psyched.
Last edited by Vic Sage on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions."

Postby Centerfield » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:27 am

Centerfield
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

What he said.

Just a few more thoughts to round out.

*Evil Cersei is badass. Love the scene where Septa Unella was all like "Whatever bitch, I'm ready to die" and Cersei was like "Die? Oh no, you're not dying today...You are going to be tortured by my giant smurf." With the vetting of characters in the last 2 episodes (especially badguys), it's clear that Cersei will play the role of main antagonist. What show in history has ever made the show so sympathetic to the villain as much as GoT?

*Jamie Lannister's character development and anticipated redemption is equally as amazing. There are times I have to remind myself "Remember, he shoved Bran out the window".

*I have to mention the Masters' surrender scene. "Oh wait, you thought we were surrendering? That's funny. Wait, which one of us has the dragons? Oh right. That would be me." What a fucking badass scene.

*Sorry you got blown up Margaery. You were fun to look at. Now Missandei moves into the top slot.

Postby smg58 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 pm

smg58
164) Ray Knight, 3B, 1B, 2B, 1984-1986

Any redemption on Jamie's part is predicated on him standing up to Cersei, which he's yet to show he's capable of doing. But Theon and The Hound are well on their way to redeeming themselves.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

Centerfield wrote:*Sorry you got blown up Margaery. You were fun to look at.

I'm convinced that Tommen took the header out the window because, after seeing the explosion, he realized that a dork like him would never get to bang anyone as hot as Margery again.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Frayed Knot

Vic Sage wrote:Brans vision, implying that, yes, in fact R+L+J.

???
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Ceetar

Frayed Knot wrote:

???

R+L=J that should read.

Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Frayed Knot

Ahh. Was having trouble following the shorthand.

Postby soupcan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:48 pm

soupcan
Howie Rose. Putting it in the books since 1995.

smg58 wrote:Any redemption on Jamie's part is predicated on him standing up to Cersei, which he's yet to show he's capable of doing. But Theon and The Hound are well on their way to redeeming themselves.

Not like Jamie hasn't done it before. 'Queenslayer' anyone?

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner
Hall of Famer/Broadcaster

I'm thinking (hoping) that Arya will be the one to kill Cersei.

Postby soupcan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:54 pm

soupcan

Ceetar wrote:
Frayed Knot wrote:

???

R+L=J that should read.

Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon

Right but what does that imply? That Jon will eventually leave Winterfell (after all, Sansa is now the rightful heir, until and unless Bran shows up)? We now know that he is Danerys' nephew and we also know that the Targaeryans marry within their family. Danerys did say that she has to get married to form an alliance. Jon has a big army now...

I'm a bit curious about what Benjen said about the the magic in the wall that prevents the White Walkers from passing it. If thats true then why should they even be considered a threat?

Lots of good stuff to ponder.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Frayed Knot

soupcan wrote:Danerys did say that she has to get married to form an alliance. Jon has a big army now...

Sure, but Theo & Yara Greyjoy's uncle Euron has a big cock ... or so he claims.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Ceetar

Frayed Knot wrote:
soupcan wrote:Danerys did say that she has to get married to form an alliance. Jon has a big army now...

Sure, but Theo & Yara Greyjoy's uncle Euron has a big cock ... or so he claims.

he also might have a dragon horn that controls dragons.

Not that it really matters who's Jon's parents are, you are what you claim. He'd be the fourth? ruler who wasn't technically in the line of succession.

But factor in that he was divinely protected during the battle of the bastards and brought back from the dead. There are three dragons that need riders..

Postby soupcan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:54 pm

soupcan

Ceetar wrote:factor in that he was divinely protected during the battle of the bastards

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Postby Vic Sage » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 am

Vic Sage

soupcan wrote:
Ceetar wrote:factor in that he was divinely protected during the battle of the bastards

Yeah, I'm not buying that.

yeah, me neither. He was just a lucky ass bastard; fortune favors the utterly moronic.

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner

Centerfield wrote:*Sorry you got blown up Margaery. You were fun to look at. Now Missandei moves into the top slot.

I've had a crush on Natalie Dormer since she was Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. But my "top slot" remains occupied by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, especially in those scenes where she flexes her power. When she emerged from that conflagration after setting all of the Dothraki elders on fire, she was magnificent.

Postby soupcan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm

soupcan

Postby Vic Sage » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:31 pm

Vic Sage

Benjamin Grimm wrote:
Centerfield wrote:*Sorry you got blown up Margaery. You were fun to look at. Now Missandei moves into the top slot.

I've had a crush on Natalie Dormer since she was Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. But my "top slot" remains occupied by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, especially in those scenes where she flexes her power. When she emerged from that conflagration after setting all of the Dothraki elders on fire, she was magnificent.

magnificent... and naked. don't forget naked!

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:35 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner

That too! She's even sexier than Brienne of Tarth!

Postby Frayed Knot » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Frayed Knot

Benjamin Grimm wrote:I've had a crush on Natalie Dormer since she was Anne Boleyn on The Tudors. But my "top slot" remains occupied by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, especially in those scenes where she flexes her power takes off all her clothes.

Postby cooby » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:03 pm

cooby
John Milner, OF, 1971-1977 - The Hammer

As I recall, Anne of Boleyn frequently had hers off too

Next

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum