Game of Thrones

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Ceetar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 am

Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

Frayed Knot wrote:
TransMonk wrote:Also, if Thor's upcoming cameo is as dorky as Ed Sheeran's, I might puke.

When TV shows start featuring celebrity cameos -- particularly by non-actors seeking to check a box on their 'Been there/Done that' list -- my mind starts to think it's a show headed for 'Jump
the Shark' territory. Now in this case one would think that the cast is so huge and parts like Sheeran's and Syndergaard's (hopefully) so small that any worries along those lines are much ado
about nothing. But even if it's not a big deal it just seems so unnecessary, like the producers of the show are casting outside celebs simply to show that they can: 'Hey look at us, we're so
popular that we've got all these famous folks from other fields clamoring to get on our show
'.

I think some of this is just going to be a factor of the modern 'tv' landscape. Walking Dead sent a bunch of players props. At the very least, it's more entertaining cross promotion than paying a star to do a commercial

But is it worth noting that MLB AM is who streams HBO Go/Now?
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Postby Fman99 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:42 am

Fman99
Sidd Finch, P, 1985, 168 MPH

Agreed. More blood and tits please!
POW! You've been Fmanned!

Postby Centerfield » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:35 am

Centerfield
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

Frayed Knot wrote:
TransMonk wrote:Also, if Thor's upcoming cameo is as dorky as Ed Sheeran's, I might puke.

When TV shows start featuring celebrity cameos -- particularly by non-actors seeking to check a box on their 'Been there/Done that' list -- my mind starts to think it's a show headed for 'Jump
the Shark' territory. Now in this case one would think that the cast is so huge and parts like Sheeran's and Syndergaard's (hopefully) so small that any worries along those lines are much ado
about nothing. But even if it's not a big deal it just seems so unnecessary, like the producers of the show are casting outside celebs simply to show that they can: 'Hey look at us, we're so
popular that we've got all these famous folks from other fields clamoring to get on our show
'.

Naked girl walks out of fire unharmed? Ok.
Dragons? Ice Zombies? Sounds plausible.
Sexy redhead raises the dead? Absolutely! She's good at raising things if you know what I mean!

Ed Sheeran as a soldier? Come on guys. A bit of a stretch there no?

Postby Fman99 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 am

Fman99

I was fine with it. Of course, I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is. He blended in with the other kids in that scene well enough for me.

Postby Ceetar » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 am

Ceetar

Fman99 wrote:I was fine with it. Of course, I have no idea who Ed Sheeran is. He blended in with the other kids in that scene well enough for me.

more jarring were that they were somehow..nice. pleasant. Like, is this the first time a group of soldiers has come upon a young lady and not immediately discussed how many ways they were going to use her?

Postby metirish » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:23 pm

metirish
Pete Flynn — Head Groundskeeper, Assistant Groundskeeper, 1962–2007

At the urging of a female I was interested in I watched the first 3 seasons ON DEMAND , honestly it was a struggle but I plugged away ( in vain as it turned out)....tuned in Sunday night...I just don't particularly enjoy it and won't be tuning back in

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 am

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

** Minor plot reveal alert - Season 7, Ep 2 **

Between the scenes in the season opening episode where not only do the shit bowls that Sam is forced to deal with look pretty similar to the soup/stew bowls used in the Citadel's dining room but the contents of the two look about the same as well, and then the scenes from episode two where they cut directly from close-in shots of Sam's Grayscale-ectomy on Jorah to close-in shots of whatever it was the locals were eating at the place where Arya re-meets up with HotPie, this show isn't exactly presenting Westeros as the hot new tourist destination for upscale foodies.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Fman99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 pm

Fman99

Watching them all a day late as I need to wait for them to fall off the truck first. But dayum, S7E2 killed it.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:14 am

Ceetar

Fman99 wrote:Watching them all a day late as I need to wait for them to fall off the truck first. But dayum, S7E2 killed it.

You using a VPN? I'm still using an old 'peerblock' program, which still seems to be working but I'm not sure how much longer.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 am

Mets Willets Point
73) John Maine, SP, 2006-2010

One of the biggest mistakes of Game of Thrones was dedicating a whole lot of time in Series 5 to the boring & meandering Dorne story when instead they could've adapted the richer Iron Islands story from the books using already established characters like Yara and introducing Euron and his ilk. Instead we have Euron coming out nowhere basically to be the new big bad and killing Dornish people that no one gives a fuck about.
Mr. Met knows; he's seen some shit.

Postby Fman99 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 am

Fman99

Ceetar wrote:
Fman99 wrote:Watching them all a day late as I need to wait for them to fall off the truck first. But dayum, S7E2 killed it.

You using a VPN? I'm still using an old 'peerblock' program, which still seems to be working but I'm not sure how much longer.

I'm doing it the same as you. Never gotten a C&D letter as of yet, all these years and shows and albums later.

Postby Centerfield » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 am

Centerfield

Centerfield wrote:*Sorry you got blown up Margaery. You were fun to look at. Now Missandei moves into the top slot.

TransMonk wrote:It seems like this episode took a breath and reset the plot for viewers after the long break. I for one needed that. However, next week I expect more blood, guts and tits.

Fman99 wrote:Agreed. More blood and tits please!

Someone's been reading our board. Hi HBO!

Postby Vic Sage » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 am

Vic Sage
Tim Leary, failed blue-chip prospect and LSD enthusiast

MEMORANDUM
to: HBO
date: today
re: Missandei's breasts and Euron's axe

Thank you for the return of blood and boobs.
Bravo, sirs!
"It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions."

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 am

Mets Willets Point

I thought Tyrion would get the sass award by pointing out Jon's brooding nature on the cliffside. But then Olenna, the Queen of Sass, drinks poison and then drops the wickedest sass ever on Jaime. What a way to go!

Postby TransMonk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:29 am

TransMonk

Mets Willets Point wrote:What a way to go!

Agreed...a death worthy of her character.
I am a patient boy...I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

I think it's safe to say that 'Revenge' was a major theme in last night's show.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:28 am

Mets Willets Point

Frayed Knot wrote:I think it's safe to say that 'Revenge' was a major theme in last night's show.

And the revenge was brought on in response to acts that were also revenge.

Postby Fman99 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:52 am

Fman99

Sad only because we don't get 7 more this year, but just 4 more instead.

Postby seawolf17 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:16 pm

seawolf17
Phantom Met Terrel Hansen. Two days, zero games, 1992

OMG TONIGHT. JUST OMG.
I believe that someday I will punch that arrogant foreman at the plant square on his fat nose; that I will get in the last word with my wife; that I will win the Irish sweepstakes; that the Mets will start a winning streak.

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:51 am

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner
Hall of Famer/Broadcaster

That final battle scene was really well done! (And so were many of the Lannister soldiers, come to think of it.)

Apparently this was the episode where Noah Syndergaard had his cameo. I didn't notice him.

Postby seawolf17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 am

seawolf17

I believe that someday I will punch that arrogant foreman at the plant square on his fat nose; that I will get in the last word with my wife; that I will win the Irish sweepstakes; that the Mets will start a winning streak.

Postby TransMonk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 am

TransMonk

I didn't notice him watching live either. I'm glad.

I'm enjoying this season very much...it may be my favorite so far.
I am a patient boy...I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.

Postby Centerfield » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:29 am

Centerfield

Terrific episode. I have really come to enjoy all scenes with Bronn. One of the underrated characters on the show. A few thoughts:

1. Arya is badass. Such a fun scene with Brienne.

2. Stark children already kinda bickering/not getting along.

3. Amazing battle scene. Watched it twice last night.

4. But definitely a few nitpick points. First off, once Bronn missed with his first shot, he should have been toast while trying to reload. Inexplicable why he would get that time. The Dothraki should have swarmed that catapult thing long before his first shot was fired. And foolish move by Danaerys to fly into that thing when the battle was already won. Hey Dothraki. How about protecting your Queen?

5. Rickon is it? "Dickon". Chuckle.

Postby seawolf17 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 am

seawolf17

Centerfield wrote:Terrific episode. I have really come to enjoy all scenes with Bronn. One of the underrated characters on the show.

Definitely. I was like OH YOU FUCKERS BETTER NOT KILL BRONN RIGHT HERE.

Arya/Brienne was amazing.

Postby Vic Sage » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 am

Vic Sage
Tim Leary, failed blue-chip prospect and LSD enthusiast

i could see Bronn having the time (in the midst of all the chaos of battle) to reload for a second shot before either Dany or the Dothraki knew what had happened or where the arrow had come from, and i could definitely see Dany attacking the crossbow head on, so i had no problems with that.

This was just an ass-kicking episode from every conceivable angle. And what was the deal with Samsa, watching Arya spar with Brienne? She seemed upset. Jealous of Arya's ability to defend herself? Of the attention Brienne is giving her? Falling into old sibling rivalries? Whatever it was, i didn't like it.

And i love Ser Davos on Dragonstone. He's really enjoying himself. "yes, Jon, i saw you staring at her great heart," and "Mind if i change sides?" Chuckle. I think he's got a thing for Missendei.

And Dany is getting a wee bit bloodthirsty, no? A little of that ole Targaryean nutjobbery starting to leak thru? But seeing her on dragonback, in full flight, lighting up the Lannister/Tarly armies was just what i'd signed up for.
"It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions."

PreviousNext

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum