Game of Thrones

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Centerfield » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Centerfield
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

seawolf17 wrote:
Centerfield wrote:Terrific episode. I have really come to enjoy all scenes with Bronn. One of the underrated characters on the show.

Definitely. I was like OH YOU FUCKERS BETTER NOT KILL BRONN RIGHT HERE.

I don't know why, but I guess I never considered the possibility that Bronn would die. Which doesn't make sense. Jamie is doing the right thing by delaying payment of his debt to a sellsword. You figure eventually he will die and your debt goes away. I don't know if he's not a central enough figure, but I just assumed he was going to be one of those that lived this whole thing out.

If I had to guess right now I'd say:

Cersei: Dead
Jamie: Dead. Character redeemed before death. Apologizes to Bran.
Qyburn: Dead
Lord Tarley: Dead
Dickon Tarley: Dead
Ellaria Sand: Dead
Davos: Dead
Theon: Dead
Theon's sister: Lives
Euron: Dead
Brienne: Dead. Probably fulfilling her oath to L. Stark
Bearded Wildling: Dead
All remaining Starks will live.
Lyanna Mormont: Lives
Dany: Lives
Jon: Lives
Missandei: Lives
Grey Worm: Dies
Jorah Mormont: Dies
Sam Tarley & Wife and kid: Lives
Hound: Dead
Those Lord of Light guys he's hanging out with: All dead, but the guy who keeps getting resurrected will have some important role
Mountain: Dead. Killed by the Hound.
Meera Reed: Lives
Littlefinger: Dead
Varys: Dead
Tyrion: Lives
Dragons: 2 will die, 1 will live.
Melisandre: Comes back and dies.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Mets Willets Point
73) John Maine, SP, 2006-2010

I wouldn't say that Bronn is underrated. His role was greatly increased from the books basically just because everyone liked Jerome Flynn's performance so much.
Mr. Met knows; he's seen some shit.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

OK, I can read this thread now.

Vic Sage wrote: And what was the deal with Samsa, watching Arya spar with Brienne? She seemed upset. Jealous of Arya's ability to defend herself? Of the attention Brienne is giving her? Falling into old sibling rivalries? Whatever it was, i didn't like it.

Stark children already kinda bickering/not getting along.

I think Sansa has just been thrown for a loop at how much Bran & Arya have changed; she's got her bro & sis back but they're not nearly the same people.
The youngest are the ones most likely to change anyway, plus she and Arya were always opposites, but now instead of merely having to put up with Arya's tomboy-ish-ness Sansa sees that
her little sister is a fucking stone-cold killer. Bran, meanwhile, has become an emotionless cypher.

Then I'm reading Baelish as he looks at Arya after watching her spar with Brienne as him thinking, 'hmmmm, I'm going to have to figure out a way to deal with that one'

Syndergaard is barely recognizable and only if you're looking for him -- towards the very beginning of the battle he's throwing a spear from just behind the front row of Lannister soldiers.
I figured if they were going to have him throw a spear they'd film its entire flight as it goes through some Dothraki dude's chest while hitting 97 on the gun, but maybe that'd be a bit too corny.
Plus I think now that that's maybe where he first pulled his lat.
Last edited by Frayed Knot on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Fman99 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Fman99
Sidd Finch, P, 1985, 168 MPH

Just finished it. God damn, what a show.
POW! You've been Fmanned!

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Mets Willets Point

Almost had two episodes in a row ending with Jaime getting roasted.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:09 am

Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

Sansa's definitely "oh fuck my sister's a crazy nutjob killer" based on the look she gave her when Bran confirmed the list. I think Sansa and Jon and their delicate sensibilities might have a problem with it. But I also suspect that the knife that Bran gave her will save one or both of them from the wight(it is wight not white right?) walkers.

I wasn't expecting the Theon/Jon confrontation. I'd forgotten about the possibility and the history until it happened.
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Postby Mets Willets Point » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:55 am

Mets Willets Point

Ceetar wrote: But I also suspect that the knife that Bran gave her will save one or both of them from the wight(it is wight not white right?) walkers.

The White Walkers are the ancient race of humanoid ice creatures. The White Walkers can raise humans from the dead and turn them into "wights" who serve as their minions in the army of the dead.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

Ceetar

Mets Willets Point wrote:
Ceetar wrote: But I also suspect that the knife that Bran gave her will save one or both of them from the wight(it is wight not white right?) walkers.

The White Walkers are the ancient race of humanoid ice creatures. The White Walkers can raise humans from the dead and turn them into "wights" who serve as their minions in the army of the dead.

yeah, so, same thing.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 am

Mets Willets Point

I feel like my daily commute to work is longer than it takes for these characters to travel across the continent of Westeros and back.

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:00 am

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner
Hall of Famer/Broadcaster

I'm concerned that I didn't see Noah Syndergaard among the surviving Lannister soldiers.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 am

Mets Willets Point

Benjamin Grimm wrote:I'm concerned that I didn't see Noah Syndergaard among the surviving Lannister soldiers.

Good thing. He'd probably tear his ACL while bending the knee.

Postby Frayed Knot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 am

Frayed Knot

That would have been a first for our DL list this year: Noah Syndergaard - 10 Day DL - Dragon Fire
I mean, why not, we've had everything else.

Considering their (so far unknown to them) biological relationship, I guess this gives Jon Snow the title of 'Cousin of Dragons'
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Ceetar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 am

Ceetar

Frayed Knot wrote:Considering their (so far unknown to them) biological relationship, I guess this gives Jon Snow the title of 'Cousin of Dragons'

The teaser about that with Sam was frustrating. Like, just tell him already!

Postby Frayed Knot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 am

Frayed Knot

Yeah but it's not like Gilly knows and just hasn't told Sam yet.
She was essentially just trying to stave off the boredom of watching Sam transcribe and so was practicing her reading but has no idea of the larger significance of what she would have said had
Sam, only half paying attention anyway, not interrupted her before she read further.

It'll come back to Sam in one of those 'Wait a minute, what was that you started to say to me two weeks ago?' kind of moments so common to TV and movie plots.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:41 am

Mets Willets Point

I'm just hoping that Gilly stole that book too.

Postby Ceetar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:50 am

Ceetar

Frayed Knot wrote:Yeah but it's not like Gilly knows and just hasn't told Sam yet.
She was essentially just trying to stave off the boredom of watching Sam transcribe and so was practicing her reading but has no idea of the larger significance of what she would have said had
Sam, only half paying attention anyway, not interrupted her before she read further.

It'll come back to Sam in one of those 'Wait a minute, what was that you started to say to me two weeks ago?' kind of moments so common to TV and movie plots.

yeah, but maybe it won't. What does Sam really care about Rhaegar's past? But yeah, I guess maybe Gilly will toss in a "It's like that book with the annulment of Prince Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark" But is that enough for Sam to make the Jon connection? Is he as versed in the whole 'bastard but that doesn't seem like Ned and all that drama'?

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

Mets Willets Point

<spoilers>

Seems to me that this episode would've made a whole lot more sense if they'd just convinced Dany to take her dragons north of the wall in the first place. You could've had the same ending without the absurdities of 11 men marching north of the wall with no contingency plan, or Gendry running at super-human speed, or ravens & dragons flying in & out within a day.

The Arya/Sansa plot is also pretty stupid unless one or both of them is involved in an elaborate plot to deceive Littlefinger.

</spoilers>

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner

And why did that one guy freeze to death when one of the other guys had a sword that generates flame?

Postby Centerfield » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Centerfield
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

Mets Willets Point wrote:<spoilers>

Seems to me that this episode would've made a whole lot more sense if they'd just convinced Dany to take her dragons north of the wall in the first place. You could've had the same ending without the absurdities of 11 men marching north of the wall with no contingency plan, or Gendry running at super-human speed, or ravens & dragons flying in & out within a day.

The Arya/Sansa plot is also pretty stupid unless one or both of them is involved in an elaborate plot to deceive Littlefinger.

</spoilers>

The whole thing seems pretty absurd when you think about it. Let's go north in the hopes of finding one wight, to bring back south.

I hope this hasn't jumped the shark.

Postby Mets Willets Point » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Mets Willets Point

Benjamin Grimm wrote:And why did that one guy freeze to death when one of the other guys had a sword that generates flame?

I thought he'd already been weakened by the bear tearing open his chest.

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner

I could see that being fatal! But I thought I heard them say that he froze to death.

Postby Vic Sage » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Vic Sage
Tim Leary, failed blue-chip prospect and LSD enthusiast

i've been reading and hearing alot of blowback in the media lately, with various bloggers, journalists, and other media types saying stuff along the lines of "I've never watched GoT, and i never will", or complaining about the societal pressure to watch it, since EVERYBODY was watching it, leaving them feeling ostracized. But now, since even GoT fans are whining about the show, the bandwagon jumpers are jumping off, and those who never would have watched the shot anyway are writing about its sexism/racism/violence/Homophobia/etc.etc. (insert favorite oppressed group here), and how glad they are that "tits and dragons" is finally falling on its face.

To which i say, "goodbye and don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!"

As a fan of high fantasy, and of these books in particular, and as a life-long fan of niche tastes, I'm quite happy to see the herd thinning out. We didn't want you to begin with. And take your condescension and socio-political agendas with you. You wannabees have ruined Comic-Con with your superficial, celeb-fucking multitudes. You weren't there for FIREFLY, so i'm going to give a shit that your fleeing now? And the gall to write your thoughtless "think pieces" in Vogue on your way out? Oh fuck you so very much.

We are still standing, and we that remain will watch with awe, apprehension, and an impending sense of loss and gratitude as this glorious show makes its way to its much anticipated conclusion. Perfect? no. But the best there's ever been in this medium? yup.
"It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions."

Postby Fman99 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Fman99
Sidd Finch, P, 1985, 168 MPH

<spoilers here>

I concur with the sentiments of the last post. The show is a particular blessing for those of us who read the books and (rightly) wonder if that series, in book form, will ever get a proper conclusion. At least the show will.

I found the rescue mission and timeline stuff rushed this past week, and the underwater Jon Snow trick derivative of what happened to Jamie not too many episodes ago, but I was still on the edge of my seat anyway.

</spoilage>
POW! You've been Fmanned!

Postby dgwphotography » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:52 pm

dgwphotography
Vic Sage wrote:
As a fan of high fantasy, and of these books in particular, and as a life-long fan of niche tastes, I'm quite happy to see the herd thinning out. We didn't want you to begin with. And take your condescension and socio-political agendas with you. You wannabees have ruined Comic-Con with your superficial, celeb-fucking multitudes. You weren't there for FIREFLY, so i'm going to give a shit that your fleeing now? And the gall to write your thoughtless "think pieces" in Vogue on your way out? Oh fuck you so very much.

I am one of those who haven't watched this show, because I wasn't interested in it. That's the beauty of our high fantasy world - what you like, you like, and what I like, I like. Having said that, thank you for saying the above. I have grown tired of Comic-Con going mainstream, and the masses bringing their nastiness with it.
A bad day behind the lens is still better than a good day behind a desk

Postby Ceetar » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Ceetar

It's fun. I'm not sure what the hurry to "get it over with already" is, besides actor contracts and the like.

There does seem to be a little less richness to some of the plot now that it's not being drawn out of a book though. Fall back into some standard TV Tropes.

The Arya-Sansa stuff is tiring. I keep hearing people say they're playing littlefinger but nothing in their character's history suggests the way they're behaving isn't accurate and them suddenly being all "aha, got you!" and working together would be as hard to swallow as a random rider showing up north of the wall with a flaming ball on a chain and saving the day.

PreviousNext

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum