The ice was here, the ice was there. 2017-18 hockey thread

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: The ice was here, the ice was there. 2017-18 hockey thre

Postby Ceetar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 am

Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

John Cougar Lunchbucket wrote:I dunno. It's not perfect but it does offer some resolution instead of a tie. I kind of like that.

Isles completely took out the Caps last night, resounding victory. They are a long step away from being a great team but no doubt they are good to very good most nights and Barzal is a phenomenon. That should get them to the playoffs.

with 8 teams they're practically a lock at this point. ;-)

I agree on the shootout/resolution thing. it doesn't really bother me I just like when the Rangers get no points. Hockey is hard and grueling and I get why they don't just keep playing on and on. And OT and the shootout are very exciting and dramatic and that plays well. I'd kinda like to see more than a 5 minute OT, but at 3 v 3 that might be too much.
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Postby LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:15 pm

LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr
Harold W. O'Shaughnessy, Senior VP and Treasurer

d'Kong76 wrote:Makes ZERO sense that I could watch on a 10" tablet and not on a tv.

If your TV isn't app-streaming enabled, or more than five years old, it should have a USB port, no?

Jack it in, and enjoy a scrappy Ranger team that's been steadily gaining on douchey Barzal and the Potvins since that disastrous first month of the season (occasional SO losses notwithstanding). We've unearthed yet another backup-keeper gem in Pavelec.
"Classic rock NEVER takes the weekend off."

Postby d'Kong76 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr wrote:
d'Kong76 wrote:Makes ZERO sense that I could watch on a 10" tablet and not on a tv.

If your TV isn't app-streaming enabled, or more than five years old, it should have a USB port, no?
Jack it in, and enjoy a scrappy Ranger team that's been steadily gaining on douchey Barzal and the Potvins since that disastrous first month of the season (occasional SO losses notwithstanding). We've unearthed yet another backup-keeper gem in Pavelec.

I know, I have issues with not just using my cable box remote haha. I'll
work on that in 2018. Pavelec was the cat's shit last night!!

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Frayed Knot
Jeff Torborg. Mets Manager, 1992-93

John Cougar Lunchbucket wrote:I didn't realize till I started watching hockey again that they changed the rules so that a regulation tie = 1 point even if you lose in OT or a shootout.
This has probably been the case for years but I wasn't paying attention.

I don't think this was ever NOT true.
IIRC (and perhaps I'm not) awarding the point to the OT loser was a necessary selling angle to get the original (early-'80s?) five minute OT approved by the needed majority of clubs even
though this had the net effect of making regulation games worth just 2 points total and OT games worth a total of 3
The logic was that teams who "earned" a tie and therefore a point with a late goal didn't want to get that point taken away if they lost in OT
Then, when the shoot-out OT was tacked onto the regular OT, they simply kept the same rule.

The biggest crime in all this (besides shoot-outs sucking and being basically random) is, as Ceets points out, it encourages conservative/'no lose' type of tactics late in the game.
With half the league making the playoffs and the result in the playoffs bearing little resemblance to reg season finishes, a point/game pace gets you to the tourney so teams play for the tie
and hope for the bonus point by winning the OT and/or shoot-out coin flip more often than they lose it.

What they really need to do is adopt the Soccer version of 3 points for a win, none for a loss, and maybe split an OT/SO games 2 & 1 to the winner/loser. That's no more convoluted than
the current system and it would at least give an incentive to TRY and win. But, as player/referee/announcer Bill Chadwick used to say about hockey: the proof that this is the greatest
game ever invented is that it consistently survives despite the idiots who run it.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby Ceetar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Ceetar

I think it used to be 3 points for a win 1 for a tie. still has issues.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Frayed Knot

No, I'm sure the NHL never gave 3 points for a win.
My only question is whether or not a point was always awarded to the OT and/or SO loser. I believe it always was but it's possible there was a short span when it wasn't.

Like I said, the advantage of awarding 3 for a win and 2 & 1 for an OT result would be that it would standardize each game's booty at 3 points total rather than have some games worth more
than others, and it at least should incentivize more open 3rd period action.
Perfect? probably not, but better than their current system.
Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:54 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

I dunno. If its that big a swing perhaps you'd see the 1-0 1st period lead turn into 48 minutes of boring defensive hockey.
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Postby LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 pm

LeiterWagnerFasterStrongr
Harold W. O'Shaughnessy, Senior VP and Treasurer

Frayed Knot wrote:No, I'm sure the NHL never gave 3 points for a win.
My only question is whether or not a point was always awarded to the OT and/or SO loser. I believe it always was but it's possible there was a short span when it wasn't.

Like I said, the advantage of awarding 3 for a win and 2 & 1 for an OT result would be that it would standardize each game's booty at 3 points total rather than have some games worth more
than others, and it at least should incentivize more open 3rd period action.
Perfect? probably not, but better than their current system.

OT losers did NOT get a point until, like, the early aughts. Only post-OT ties got the point. And after five or six seasons-- ten years or so ago-- the tie was phased out entirely.
"Classic rock NEVER takes the weekend off."

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:56 am

John Cougar Lunchbucket

Josh Ho-Sang got himself sent back to Bridgeport. He's got enough moves and style to be a player and at times has been a big help but he gets pushed around a lot, falls down too much and gives away the puck WAY too much.

The Post thinks the Islanders should trade him and a few draft picks for a RH-swinging defenseman. I wonder if we can't get a real goaltender too.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Frayed Knot

Islanders awarded right to build new arena at Belmont Park

Long way away from reality, yadda, yadda and they and the Brooklyn arena still have to go through a negotiation process before either can get out of the current lease.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:59 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

I get the impression both sides can't wait for the Barclays thing to end and that the Isles would sooner play in Nassau Vets again while waiting for this thing to get built. But, I don't see how this benefits me as Belmont is not an easy train ride (yet) while Barclays is. OTOH, I might go to 1 game this year so what does it matter. Islanders just need to stay on the same channel every night, that would be an improvement.

Twitter Isles fans are all ecstatic, calling the new owners the best in franchise history for getting this done.

Calvin deHaan out for the year!

Postby Ceetar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Ceetar

I'm excited about the prospect of Belmont. Brooklyn isn't great for parent-me living in NJ, but Valley Stream, where I grew up, is literally one town over and it's where my parents still are.

I don't know how this shakes out for the average fan, though Nassau Colliseum was not public transit friendly and mostly catered to LI drivers.

Postby Frayed Knot » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Frayed Knot

I get the impression both sides can't wait for the Barclays thing to end -- Yup. Played out as a bad marriage almost from the honeymoon.

... and that the Isles would sooner play in Nassau Vets again while waiting for this thing to get built. -- Is that thing still standing? I assumed it had either been knocked down or had simply fallen down by this point.

Islanders just need to stay on the same channel every night, that would be an improvement. -- That's not likely to happen no matter where they play. In MSG Network land, the IceLanders rate about 9th in priority (behind the Liberty and probably amateur curling as well) as to who gets the 'best' station when there are one or more conflicts.

... Nassau Colliseum was not public transit friendly and mostly catered to LI drivers. -- It ENTIRELY catered to L.I. drivers

Postby Nymr83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Nymr83
Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets, 1962-2003

Why are the Islanders in a TV deal with MSG, owner of the Rangers? Wouldn't they be better off signing on with SNY or YES?
Well, I've got nothing against the bunt, in its place. But most of the time that place is the bottom of a long-forgotten closet. -Earl Weaver

Postby Ceetar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Ceetar

Nymr83 wrote:Why are the Islanders in a TV deal with MSG, owner of the Rangers? Wouldn't they be better off signing on with SNY or YES?

Hockey can conflict with baseball though and there's no overflow station for those. at least with MSG they end up somewhere even if they're 4th.

and while MSG doesn't hold them in high regard, if they're the top ratings drawer they'll get top billing.

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:08 pm

John Cougar Lunchbucket

There's some folks out there who believe the push back to LI is a Dolan strategy to re-marginalize the Islanders in the event something happens and they wind up winning too much regard in the city, not that Rangers fans would go for them but that the undecided get on the bandwagon. As mujch as the core Isles fans want them on LI they weren't a great draw at NVMC (which has been re-done).

Postby Nymr83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Nymr83

Ceetar wrote:
Nymr83 wrote:Why are the Islanders in a TV deal with MSG, owner of the Rangers? Wouldn't they be better off signing on with SNY or YES?

Hockey can conflict with baseball though and there's no overflow station for those. at least with MSG they end up somewhere even if they're 4th.

and while MSG doesn't hold them in high regard, if they're the top ratings drawer they'll get top billing.

I'd suspect they will always get lower billing than the Knicks and Rangers because MSG is more concerned with showcasing its own product. maybe the Liberty too.
Well, I've got nothing against the bunt, in its place. But most of the time that place is the bottom of a long-forgotten closet. -Earl Weaver

Postby Ceetar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Ceetar

Nymr83 wrote:
I'd suspect they will always get lower billing than the Knicks and Rangers because MSG is more concerned with showcasing its own product. maybe the Liberty too.

if it's close maybe. if twice as many people are watching the Islanders as the Knicks, they'll go with the ratings. It's not like they won't still push all the same ads and such for their own product. Though I guess arguably you'd still want to try to trick Islanders fans into getting 'caught' on MSG and see an interesting Knicks game and forget to click past or something.

Postby Nymr83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Nymr83

Ceetar wrote:
Nymr83 wrote:

if it's close maybe. if twice as many people are watching the Islanders as the Knicks, they'll go with the ratings. It's not like they won't still push all the same ads and such for their own product. Though I guess arguably you'd still want to try to trick Islanders fans into getting 'caught' on MSG and see an interesting Knicks game and forget to click past or something.

i definitely agree they'd be more likely to 'bump' the Rangers than the Knicks for that reason.

i'm sure plenty of people flip channels looking for sports and it is more beneficial to be on the main MSG for that reason though.

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

As a Met fan, I'd love to say I'm excited, but ... that looks like a butt.

A big, round, butt.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Postby Frayed Knot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Frayed Knot

Only if he puts them on backwards.

Postby Frayed Knot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:29 am

Frayed Knot

Well that was quick: The New York Islanders made their homecoming official Wednesday, announcing a deal with the state to pay for a new arena at Belmont Raceway and face off once again in Nassau County.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hocke ... -1.3712171

According to the governor’s office, the $1 billion redevelopment of Belmont Park will be privately funded by the Islanders and the Oak View Group, whose investors include
Madison Square Garden Co., owned by James Dolan, and Mets owner Sterling Equities, which was founded by Fred Wilpon.
The Islanders will have a 49-year lease with renewal options, valued at $40 million.
The Islanders hope to break ground on an 18,000 seat arena in the spring of 2018, with the building expected to open in 2020.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Frayed Knot

Not that you can go wrong with firemen & cops, but it would have been cool to get one or several of the Mets to drop the ceremonial opening puck for today's 'WINTER CLASSIC' at CitiField
Known Ranger fan and Henrik Lundquist biddy Matt Harvey is apparently watching the game ... but is doing so from his vacay in Mexico.

Postby d'Kong76 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:41 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

I'm sure it's brighter there than it appears on tv, but I can't help but
think the Wilpons are cheaping out on the wattage or something to save
some winter-classic dough.

Postby Frayed Knot » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Frayed Knot

Nah, that was just the TV cameras having trouble with the half-sun/half-shadow effect that was covering the ice in the early part of the game.
Open those lenses up too much and the other side would have been washed out via the glare, close them down and the shadow side looks overly dark.
As good (and expensive) as those cameras are, they aren't as good as the human eye at dealing with the contrast.
Shortly into the game that effect went away.

btw, Ace Frehley warming up the crowd in the pre-game time slot. And, yes, he went with BACK IN THE NEW YORK GROOVE while wearing a Rangers jersey (and a whole lot else - 14 degrees even at 1 PM).
and then the Goo Goo Dolls -- apparently from Buffalo ... who knew? -- played between periods.

PreviousNext

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum