Politics in 2018

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Lefty Specialist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 pm

User avatar
Lefty Specialist
71) Skip Lockwood, RP, 1975-1979

Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Location, Location.
No, it's not The Onion. It's an official statement issued by the President of The United States.

Statement from the President of the United States

Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.


Hail to the.....whatever.
Only in today's America can policy be based on the notion that the rich have too little and the poor have too much.

Resistance is not futile. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/indivisible-action

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Mets Willets Point » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 pm

User avatar
Mets Willets Point
73) John Maine, SP, 2006-2010

Posts: 5608
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:53 pm
Edgy MD wrote:
Reports are that former presidential candidate Mitch Romney, a frequent critic of the president, plans to run for the vacated seat.



Love that rich people like Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, and Hilary Clinton can just run for office in any old state that they please. And by love, I mean I hate that the oligarchy is allowed to do this.
Mr. Met knows; he's seen some shit.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby metsmarathon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 pm

User avatar
metsmarathon
shea stadium's running met

Posts: 11408
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: miles from the start, and miles from the finish
"my nuclear button is bigger than yours" is a thing our president wished to communicate with the world.

i like to think it's because nobody has actually shown him what the inside of the football might look like, and that instead he's got this big repurposed staples "easy button" sitting on the resolute desk that everyone keeps telling him he should never ever press.
the first step is admitting you're a runner.

running is a mental sport, and we're all insane.

"i think that's why the marathon is so addicting. because you always want more." - shalane flanagan

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

User avatar
John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Posts: 31026
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:47 pm
Someone on the twitter pointed out yesterday there was about 5 minute lag between a fox TV news story mentioning the button and that stupid irresponsible embarrasing dangerous response.

I'm no Bannon fan but that book excerpt that's making him and DJT enemies is fucking dynamite. You gotta figure that bastard has other stories he could tell, stories that could take down Trump for sure, but the entire R establishment, which is his goal anyhow.

Popcorn.
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Lefty Specialist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

User avatar
Lefty Specialist
71) Skip Lockwood, RP, 1975-1979

Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Location, Location.
I think this'll pass. Breitbart (and Bannon) have too much invested in Trump and Trumpism. Bannon wants to blow the system apart and Trump is his weapon to do it.

He'll never get a better chance than he has right now with Toonces the Driving Cat behind the wheel.
Only in today's America can policy be based on the notion that the rich have too little and the poor have too much.

Resistance is not futile. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/indivisible-action

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby John Cougar Lunchbucket » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:40 pm

User avatar
John Cougar Lunchbucket
Eddie Yost, 3B Coach 1968-1975

Posts: 31026
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:47 pm
I dunno. It's obvious Trump doesn't have the brains to blow the system apart without Bannon. So if I'm Bannon, I start painting Trump as an establishment stooge and take out the Ryans and McConnells with him. He's going down regardless.
Let me tell you something: I have a big set of balls.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby d'Kong76 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm

User avatar
d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

Posts: 19246
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 pm
Location: Glutenville, NY
41Forever wrote:Cool Orrin Hatch fact: He's a prolific songwriter.
I have one of his Christmas CDs.

I'm sorry, but...

Image

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Nymr83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

User avatar
Nymr83
Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets, 1962-2003

Posts: 14447
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:18 pm
metsmarathon wrote:"my nuclear button is bigger than yours" is a thing our president wished to communicate with the world.

i like to think it's because nobody has actually shown him what the inside of the football might look like, and that instead he's got this big repurposed staples "easy button" sitting on the resolute desk that everyone keeps telling him he should never ever press.


When I saw his statement I totally pictured him with the Staples Easy button too!!
Well, I've got nothing against the bunt, in its place. But most of the time that place is the bottom of a long-forgotten closet. -Earl Weaver

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Nymr83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:30 pm

User avatar
Nymr83
Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets, 1962-2003

Posts: 14447
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:18 pm
Mets Willets Point wrote:
Edgy MD wrote:
Reports are that former presidential candidate Mitch Romney, a frequent critic of the president, plans to run for the vacated seat.



Love that rich people like Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, and Hilary Clinton can just run for office in any old state that they please. And by love, I mean I hate that the oligarchy is allowed to do this.


Eh. Nobody is forcing you to vote for them and there are bigger fish to fry.

What would you propose as a tougher but workable residency requirement?
Well, I've got nothing against the bunt, in its place. But most of the time that place is the bottom of a long-forgotten closet. -Earl Weaver

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby 41Forever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:41 pm

User avatar
41Forever
376) Al Moran, SS, 3B, 1963-1964

Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm
d'Kong76 wrote:
41Forever wrote:Cool Orrin Hatch fact: He's a prolific songwriter.
I have one of his Christmas CDs.

I'm sorry, but...

Image


It’s a really good song! I love New York Christmas songs!

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby d'Kong76 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:46 pm

User avatar
d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

Posts: 19246
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 pm
Location: Glutenville, NY
I'll have to respectfully decline listening, I don't want the Alphabet/Google/Youtube
gods thinking I'm interested in anything he's selling.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Lefty Specialist » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 pm

User avatar
Lefty Specialist
71) Skip Lockwood, RP, 1975-1979

Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Location, Location.
See, hating all Christmas music has its advantages occasionally.

So I'm guessing Mr. Mueller will be playing book critic with Mr. Bannon shortly.
Only in today's America can policy be based on the notion that the rich have too little and the poor have too much.

Resistance is not futile. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/indivisible-action

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 pm

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
Lefty Specialist wrote:I think this'll pass. Breitbart (and Bannon) have too much invested in Trump and Trumpism. Bannon wants to blow the system apart and Trump is his weapon to do it.

He'll never get a better chance than he has right now with Toonces the Driving Cat behind the wheel.

I don't know. Breitbart's displacing Fox as the voice of the right, with one thousandth the ad revenue. He's perhaps won the game that really matters to him.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Ceetar » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 pm

User avatar
Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

Posts: 20771
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Moving target: Check Big Apple Brews
Nymr83 wrote:
Mets Willets Point wrote:
Edgy MD wrote:
Reports are that former presidential candidate Mitch Romney, a frequent critic of the president, plans to run for the vacated seat.



Love that rich people like Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, and Hilary Clinton can just run for office in any old state that they please. And by love, I mean I hate that the oligarchy is allowed to do this.


Eh. Nobody is forcing you to vote for them and there are bigger fish to fry.

What would you propose as a tougher but workable residency requirement?


actual residency? you know, so that you actually care about the residents in the state and aren't just using it as a springboard to power/congress. Hillary was at least launching a political career and moved to NY with that intention. Romney does/has lived in Utah for a few years. It's where he's registered to vote. I guess that's really gotta be the main criteria. where you file taxes, where you vote. Though it seems like it was just a 'move near family' thing and I doubt he's immersed in local politics and understands the needs and wants of Utah. It's not particularly fair but rich people run the country.
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
I'm having trouble seeing the budding Trump-Bannon rivalry as sport because, well, the nuclear brinkmanship that is going on is terrifying.

On the other hand, maybe it distracts the president from his crazy game of standoff.

In that excerpt, if you take it at face value, they're all exactly what you think they are, but hope they aren't — an impossible baby in a diaper and a bunch of untrained eight-year-olds in charge of looking after him when they really want to be outside playing.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Nymr83 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 pm

User avatar
Nymr83
Bob Murphy, Voice of the Mets, 1962-2003

Posts: 14447
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:18 pm
Ceetar wrote:
Nymr83 wrote:
Mets Willets Point wrote:
Edgy MD wrote:
Reports are that former presidential candidate Mitch Romney, a frequent critic of the president, plans to run for the vacated seat.



Love that rich people like Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, and Hilary Clinton can just run for office in any old state that they please. And by love, I mean I hate that the oligarchy is allowed to do this.


Eh. Nobody is forcing you to vote for them and there are bigger fish to fry.

What would you propose as a tougher but workable residency requirement?


actual residency? you know, so that you actually care about the residents in the state and aren't just using it as a springboard to power/congress. Hillary was at least launching a political career and moved to NY with that intention. Romney does/has lived in Utah for a few years. It's where he's registered to vote. I guess that's really gotta be the main criteria. where you file taxes, where you vote. Though it seems like it was just a 'move near family' thing and I doubt he's immersed in local politics and understands the needs and wants of Utah. It's not particularly fair but rich people run the country.


So then you have no actual complaint about Romney here? the people of Utah can decide at the polls if he "understands the needs and wants of Utah"
Well, I've got nothing against the bunt, in its place. But most of the time that place is the bottom of a long-forgotten closet. -Earl Weaver

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Ashie62 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:05 pm

User avatar
Ashie62
Josh Lewin, Radio Broadcaster since 2012

Posts: 15393
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:39 pm
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Romney will win a Senate seat in Utah in a landslide.

I hope he becomes our next president.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
Cease-and-desist letter from President Trump to Mr. Bannon.

“You have breached the Agreement by, among other things, communicating with author Michael Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company, disclosing Confidential Information to Mr. Wolff, and making disparaging statements and in some cases outright defamatory statements to Mr. Wolff about Mr. Trump, his family members, and the Company,” read the letter from lawyer Charles Harder.


What's with "the Company"? Is this hastily assembled from a form letter that is supposed to have "the Administration" plugged in there?
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:38 am

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
Sending a cease and desist letter to Bannon is beside the point at this juncture, no? I mean, the statements have been made. It's Wolff you want to stop.

And good luck on that. Apparently Wolff has tapes.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Lefty Specialist » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 am

User avatar
Lefty Specialist
71) Skip Lockwood, RP, 1975-1979

Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:58 am
Location: Location, Location.
Bannon already saying 'nothing to see here'. The cease and desist is useless except to punish someone financially at this point. That's why people always have to sign an NDA when they work for him in any area.
Only in today's America can policy be based on the notion that the rich have too little and the poor have too much.

Resistance is not futile. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/indivisible-action

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Ceetar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am

User avatar
Ceetar
Jane Jarvis, Organist, 1964-1979

Posts: 20771
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Location: Moving target: Check Big Apple Brews
Nymr83 wrote:
So then you have no actual complaint about Romney here? the people of Utah can decide at the polls if he "understands the needs and wants of Utah"


No legal complaints. If only that's how politics actually worked, but as he's rich and has name recognition, if he wants to run the Republicans will work and spend hard to make sure he's the nominee. So you run into the same two party issues as usual, vote for an outsider that doesn't really understand or care about Utah or vote for the other party which might do something zany like make you sell a cake to a gay couple.

So the point stands, because he's rich and connected he gets to do what he wants. It's not hard to play lip service to some talking points and convince people not particularly invested in politics that he's a good choice.
"Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?"

-Ceetar, the Optimistic Mets Fan

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Benjamin Grimm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 am

User avatar
Benjamin Grimm
Ralph Kiner
Hall of Famer/Broadcaster

Posts: 42462
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:49 am
Location: The Baxter Building
I doubt that he's breaking any rules. I could probably move to Utah and run for the Senate too. It's Romney's money and name recognition that gives him a much better chance than I do of winning, but I don't think it makes him more eligible.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:39 am

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
What makes you think Governor Romney doesn't understand or care about Utah? I mean, maybe he doesn't understand or care about anyone or anybody, but the evidence at hand says his knowledge and engagement with the state far exceeds my own.

Either he lives there or he doesn't. And if the residency requirements aren't clear, then they can re-write them.

Beyond that, yeah, he's rich. Most senators are. It's a perfectly valid to hold that against him, but it ain't my state. I got one pretty rich guy (Senator Ben Cardin) and one not particularly rich guy (Senator Chris Van Hollen).
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby 41Forever » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:28 am

User avatar
41Forever
376) Al Moran, SS, 3B, 1963-1964

Posts: 1346
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:49 pm
Why would we hold someone’s wealth against them? Wealthy people usually are wealthy because they are successful at creating, building or running very complicated things.

Re: Politics in 2018

Postby Edgy MD » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 am

User avatar
Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Posts: 90746
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:03 pm
Location: Baltimore
It's also valid to not hold that against him. It's additionally valid to hold that in his favor.

But I disagree that wealthy people usually are wealthy because they are successful at creating, building or running very complicated things.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

PreviousNext

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests