Oprah?

Information and ideas that aren't about baseball, but that you think the community would appreciate, go here.

Re: Oprah?

Postby batmagadanleadoff » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 pm

batmagadanleadoff
J.P. Ricciardi. Special Assistant to the GM

Edgy MD wrote:
batmagadanleadoff wrote:Maybe you could point me to some of these ideas.

Really? Because they're more than ideas. They exist in action all over the place.

1. The runoff. If no candidate receives a majority, voters are asked to return a few weeks later and select from the top two. Minority party voters enshrined their conscience in their candidate, without having undermined what they might see as the second-best option, accept that their candidate lost, but then vote again among the top two options.

2. Ranking the candidates. This produces the same outcome as above without the logistical problems and expense and extended campaigning.

3. Gifting your support. In the event of a no majority winner, candidates who have come in third or worse decide which candidate ahead of them they want to support, and their votes are gifted. It's also kind of a cheaper version of the runoff, but it has the downside of putting a losing candidate in the catbird seat, in a position to hold a Dutch auction, and his or her voters may well feel betrayed.

4. Proportional representation. This is more about electing legislatures than executives, but produces an outcome that is much more reflective of the popular sentiment than winner take all. It might seem alien to us, but the Irish have had it since the 20s and are very attached to it.

States President Trump Won in 2016 Without Getting a Simple Majority of the Vote:
    Arizona
    Florida
    Michigan
    Nebraska (2nd district)
    North Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Utah
    Wisconsin

States Secretary Clinton Won in 2016 Without Getting a Simple Majority of the Vote:
    Colorado
    Maine (at-large)
    Minnesota
    Nevada
    New Hampshire
    New Mexico
    Virginia

Put all those states to a run-off, I would imagine that there would be a good or great chance that we'd have a different outcome. In fact, run the election with any of the above first three systems in place, and President Trump would be getting fabulously wealthy right now launching a terrible cable TV network.

I know what a run-off is, and its' variations. In fact, I referred to a run-off in this very exchange. For some reason, I thought you were talking about something more realistic than a run-off because, try getting every state to enact presidential run-offs. The electoral college is an un-democratic archaic disaster but the nation will never muster up enough support to change it through conventional legal channels. It's probably here to stay unless enough of the population gets sick and tired of it to the point of violent revolt.

Postby Edgy MD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Well, I'm trying. Electoral reform is a hard row, but we've got to row together.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Postby batmagadanleadoff » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 am

batmagadanleadoff
J.P. Ricciardi. Special Assistant to the GM

Edgy MD wrote:Well, I'm trying. Electoral reform is a hard row, but we've got to row together.

Well, the good thing about the Electoral College is that this historical phase we're currently in where the GOP can win presidential elections while losing the popular vote and even though more people self-identify as liberals than as conservatives is hopefully, just that -- a phase. Demographic trends indicate that in due time, red and purple states on the USA's southern border like Florida, Texas and Arizona that are trending blue, eventually will lean Democratic. This should better align the electoral college with the popular vote in future presidential elections and lessen some of the criticism this terrible voting system of ours deservedly receives. And we might avoid a terrible storming of the palace with guillotines and ropes and guns and all.

Postby Edgy MD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

Well, as someone who finds a home in neither party, the system works against us no matter what. And there are a lot of us.

Most of us, maybe.
I'll be your patron saint of heartbreak.

Previous

Return to The Non-Baseball Forum