I Quit Smoking (I think)

This forum is for announcements and links regarding personal achievements of our members, articles and books published, elections won — good stuff that we don't want to fade to the back page too quickly.

Re: I Quit Smoking (I think)

Postby TransMonk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:26 am

TransMonk
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

Fman99 wrote:The other thing I did, that helped, was cut drinking straws down to cigarette length, and breathed in and out of them like I was still smoking. Helped with the oral fixation part. That was only for a few weeks. They would fill up with my spit inadvertently, and it was gross as hell, but it helped me for the short term.

I second this method. I did this as well. At work and home, I would still go outside at the normal times I would have smoked. I would then use the cut straw trick. I would also bring an individual wrapper of Smarties and eat them one by one to help with the oral fixation.
I am a patient boy...I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.

Postby Centerfield » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Centerfield
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

I went with chocolate. Put on a nice layer of pudge around my belly, but it helped me quit.

Then eventually I cut out the chocolate.

Postby MFS62 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 pm

MFS62
Brian Cole, Outfield Prospect, 1978-2001

Cold turkey.
One day I smoked. The next day I didn't.
No specific aids or new habits, but I did put on some weight.
That leveled off over a few months.

Later
I'm smarter than you think you are.

Postby Centerfield » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Centerfield
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

Missed my 11 year anniversary.

As I've mentioned before, it continues to be a struggle at times. The cravings, though far more infrequent, are still there from time to time.

So in a way, I'm constantly reminded of it, so I remain proud of it.

Funny story, so I think I mentioned way back when this thread started, that a bet was the trigger for quitting. My buddy and I bet each other we could hold out longer. The first one to crack loses. Eleven years later, we are still holding out.

A few weeks ago, he texted me from London. He was hanging out with an old college buddy of our's, and presumably, others at the bar were smoking. He mentioned it had been over ten years since our bet and that any bet over 10 years should be expired. In my own way, I held him to the bet. He resisted the urge to smoke. And we both remain smoke free.

Didn't realize it at the time, but that was the 11 year anniversary of our bet. Funny.

Postby TransMonk » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm

TransMonk
4) Jerry Koosman, SP, RP, 1967-1978

8 years yesterday for me. If CF wouldn't have posted, I'd have forgotten mine, too.

Congrats to CF and all others that have kept up the efforts.
I am a patient boy...I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.

Previous

Return to Member Promotion Forum