FAFIF

This forum is a repository for links that can always come in handy to our members, but we can never find when we need them. Statistical resources, sites of great and questionable journalism, and other fora can all be linked here.

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:39 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

We did Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Detroit as a driving trip with the kids in 2002. It was fun, although that much driving with three kids was rather nuts. We took along a portable tv/vcr, and had them watch the entire Ken Burns Baseball documentary on that trip <g>

Meanwhile, MK got a big laugh out of this one today (he even told it to his grandmother during Labor Day lunch) -

Things Victor Diaz Will Never Be
1. A Gold Glove winner
2. A Gold Glove candidate
3. Allowed to look at a Gold Glove
<font color="blue">Nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever going to bring me down!
</font>

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:45 am

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

Wow! Not only is Greg's reflection on 1985 large enough to require two separate posts, but it's an amazin' recap of an amazin' season.

Here is Part 1

Here is The Exciting Conclusion

Plus he gives us a shout-out in his Meaningless Games in September post.
</font>

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:18 am

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

This week's flashback is 1990. A lost season for me - my daughter was born in September 1989, which began a few years when baseball was on the back burner. The descriptions and accounts of my lost season are appreciated.
</font>

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:38 am

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

I Hate Other Sports

Big Yup©

Don't get me wrong. I like football. In November, where it belongs. Get it the fuck out of September. October, too. Even if the Mets aren't in the post-season, baseball deserves October, not so much for the playoffs and the World Series but so we can spend a month mourning and reflecting on what he have just witnessed.
</font>

Postby Edgy MD » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:13 am

Edgy MD
Rube Walker — Pitching Coach, 1968–1981

But no, it starts ramming itself down our throats in late July and by September, it's jumped offsides and into the valuable media space that should by rights be maintained 24/7/365 by baseball.

Well, the "365" is kind of a contradiction.

But Go, Greg, Go. I hate the NFL 24/7/365. Well, I guess I liked it when that Jets receiver decided to use his visiibility to call attention to molested children, but I hate so very much about the NFL, the list would just go on.

Postby willpie » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:51 am

willpie
470) Bobby Pfeil, 3B, 2B, LF, 1969

Edgy DC wrote:
But no, it starts ramming itself down our throats in late July and by September, it's jumped offsides and into the valuable media space that should by rights be maintained 24/7/365 by baseball.

Well, the "365" is kind of a contradiction.

But Go, Greg, Go. I hate the NFL 24/7/365. Well, I guess I liked it when that Jets receiver decided to use his visiibility to call attention to molested children, but I hate so very much about the NFL, the list would just go on.

I've always found 24/7/365 (i.e. hours a day/days a week/days a year) to be on awkward construction anyway. I mean, 24/7/52 (i.e. hours a day/days a week/weeks a year) seems more consistent to me. And anyway, doesn't 24/7 already mean "all the time"?

Postby G-Fafif » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:28 pm

G-Fafif
Mike Vail: Owner, 23-Game Hitting Streak

willpie wrote:I've always found 24/7/365 (i.e. hours a day/days a week/days a year) to be on awkward construction anyway. I mean, 24/7/52 (i.e. hours a day/days a week/weeks a year) seems more consistent to me. And anyway, doesn't 24/7 already mean "all the time"?

Let's see...seven days in a week, 52 weeks in a year...364 days. That leaves one day that if not specified may trickle into foul, non-baseball territory.

And ya can't be too careful.
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:29 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

Today Greg parties like it's 1995

Part 1

The Exciting Conclusion

Among other things, Greg recounts meeting Jace in person after meeting him through AOL first. This was five years before I started meeting Internet friends in person at Mets games (in our household we call them axe murderer friends, or axies. Let me explain - when I told friends of ours how we would be meeting Internet friends in person at Bank One Ballpark, they were aghast. "How could you meet people in person you only know from tthe Internet? What if they're axe murderers?" To which we replied, "That's ok - they wouldn't be bringing their axes to a baseball stadium." Ever since that time, we have referred to our Internet friends as our axe murderer friends. Kase was actually the first axie I met at a baseball game. I think I brought 3-year-old MK along with me for protection at the time - LOL).
</font>

Postby G-Fafif » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:22 pm

G-Fafif

ScarletKnight41 wrote:Today Greg parties like it's 1995

Part 1

The Exciting Conclusion

Among other things, Greg recounts meeting Jace in person after meeting him through AOL first. This was five years before I started meeting Internet friends in person at Mets games (in our household we call them axe murderer friends, or axies...

I have to admit, years after the fact, that I held those same perceptions and reservations in principle, based on whatever scattered reports of such meetings I had absorbed. But Jason was not an axe murderer nor have the other dozen and some people I have come to meet this way (if they were actively axe-murdering on the particular day I met them, I guess I wouldn't be posting right now). I imagine there's still some reason to fear the unknown, but I don't even think about axe murderers, et al when I make let's-meet plans with cybersouls. But all I'm after is a ballgame.

Perhaps our forebears felt the same way about making the acquaintance of people by telephonic device.

The Greg-Jason big (or blog) bang was covered in detail on its tenth anniversary:

My perspective:
http://mets2005.myblogsite.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/17/949407.html

His perspective:
http://mets2005.myblogsite.com/blog/_archives/2005/6/17/950681.html
“And if anyone tries to tell you it can't be done, remember the Mets. If they can do it, we can do it.”
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby d'Kong76 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:55 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

I've met 25-30 people in the seven years or so that I've been doing Mets
internet stuff (not including the first annual Mofo picnic) and the only in-
cident I had was a little red headed kid kicking me in the chin. Other than
that - all good. I've known most of my non-internet friends my whole life.
The Mets online thing has introduced me to doctors, teachers, lawyers,
writers, executives, entrepreneurs, and generally much more educated
people than I (or that I would meet) had it not been for being online Mets
fans. I'm babbling - but like I said, it's all been good.

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:01 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

Greg - this comment to your entry sums things up well <g>

I resent the implication that I am not a knife-wielding stalker. I simply have not yet revealed myself.

Kase - I don't know who kicked you, but it wasn't my kid. IIRC he was too happy to show off the MLB Showdown game that he won at Fenway that day.
</font>

Postby MFS62 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm

MFS62
Brian Cole, Outfield Prospect, 1978-2001

Kase,
You're a big guy.
How did a "little" kid kick you in the chin?
Sounds like there's a story there.....

Later
I'm smarter than you think you are.

Postby Rockin' Doc » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Rockin' Doc
Willie Mays. Say Hey Kid, Mets 1B-OF 1972-73

My experiences with meeting other Mets fans in person after first "meeting" them in cyberspace have all been positive. I have come to the conclusion that Mets fans are not just highly discriminating baseball fans with fine taste in teams, but genuinely good people.

I look forward to the next opportunity for a road trip to tailgate with the fine denizens of this forum.
Just black and white, rich or poor
Them and us, stop the war
I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you

Postby d'Kong76 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:25 pm

d'Kong76
David Arthur Kingman, 1B-OF-3B 1975-1977, 1981-1983

>>>I don't know who kicked you, but it wasn't my kid.<<<

You turned away. I never brought it up because he's been nice to me
ever since he found out I know Mr. Met.

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:26 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

The full story of this meeting was kind of funny.

It was in July 2000, when the Mets were in Boston. We were there with the kids, and our friend Neil (who lives in Swampscott) and Neil's son. From the MOFO, Kase and I made plans to try to say hi at the Saturday game, but we were both too paranoid to give our seat numbers to each other (just the rows). I'm not even sure that D-Dad knew about my posting life at the time (if he did, it wasn't in any detail).

At one point I took the kids to meet Wally, the Green Monster, and that's where they had the wheel of luck (the older two kids won baseball cards, while MK won a set of MLB Showdown). I get back to the seats, when Neil tells me that some bald guy in a Mets jersey came over to say hi.

Later on, I see a bald guy with a Mets jersey, so I strike up a conversation. Of course, it isn't Kase. I go to the row where Kase is supposed to be sitting, but I can't find him.

Eventually, KB comes over, finds me, and I follow her back with MK in tow. Like somehow a guy with an axe wouldn't hurt me if I had a 3-year-old protecting me....

So, thanks to KB, Kase and I finally do meet in the late innings that day. The rest, as they say, is history ;)
</font>

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:06 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

BTW, this column has a passage that sums up the bandwagoning MFY mentality wonderfully -

The Mets were playing the Reds. Although the staff was tense over our impending sale, most everybody came, including our new art director Robert. He was a quiet guy from the Bronx, coming along because everybody else was going. Hadn't said much about baseball before the twinighter. He sat, watched the early innings and then leaned over to me to ask a question.

"Hey Greg, do the Mets play the Reds in the second game of the doubleheader, too?"

He wasn't kidding. He didn't know. That's no crime, except that in short order, Robert from the Bronx would let everyone know that he was a Yankees fan, baby. Come 1996, he would be very vocal about his favorite team winning its sport's world championship. But late in the 1995 season, he was clueless about that very same sport. One wonders how much of that was going around.
</font>

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:08 am

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

Piazza's Last Stand is a lovely and appropriate farewell to a true Mets great. Nice work Greg!
</font>

Postby Elster88 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:26 am

Elster88
KEVIN ELSTER

Everyone is assuming he is leaving the Mets next year.

Postby Willets Point » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:32 am

Willets Point
Mr. Met -- Mascot, 1964-present

"Dwight Gooden pitched for a team in the American League whose name escapes me. "

The Cleveland Indians, duh!
Go to our NFL jerseys site

Postby G-Fafif » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:22 pm

G-Fafif

Willets Point wrote:"Dwight Gooden pitched for a team in the American League whose name escapes me. "

The Cleveland Indians, duh!

[Sound of palm slapping forehead.]

Of course! The Indians. What could have I been thinking?
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:51 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

I'm making my way through Greg's three-part 2000 flashback, and I wanted to comment that I'm amused how he referred to Jace as a "non-axe murderer." I'd like to think that came from last week's discussion <g>
</font>

Postby G-Fafif » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:05 pm

G-Fafif

ScarletKnight41 wrote:I'm making my way through Greg's three-part 2000 flashback, and I wanted to comment that I'm amused how he referred to Jace as a "non-axe murderer." I'd like to think that came from last week's discussion <g>

Anybody who wades through three parts deserves a shoutout.
—John V. Lindsay, 1969

Postby ScarletKnight41 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:14 pm

ScarletKnight41
Met-Lovin' Big Shot

Well, thanks. I feel honored :)
</font>

Postby Johnny Dickshot » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:07 am

Johnny Dickshot
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

Postby Johnny Dickshot » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:31 am

Johnny Dickshot
3) Dwight Gooden, SP, RP, 1984-1994

Holy hell. I missed the 2000 writeup and spent the last 45 minutes reading it.

1) OH SHIT! TIMO DIDN'T RUN! IF HE HAD, THERE'D BE NO RELAY!
2) We're screwed. We're gonna lose the World Series to the Yankees

This is precisely the series of thoughts I had, followed immediately by:

3) Be careful, JD, your right foot is periously close to the edge of this bar stool.

I drank way too much beer generally in 2000 and on this night, especially, trying to cool off the anxiety and the hot wings. Timo's goof was basically the first and last thing that mattered that entire series and I knew it right then. I stayed till the end of the game but from that point recall mainly noise, humidity and doom until I got outside onto 44th street, some young Yankee-fan looking guy on a bicycle saw a Mets hat atop what must have been a defeated and exhausted expression, said 'Hah-hah' and rode away as if I were going to go chase him.

That was the worst loss in Met history. I don't think any other comes close.

[/i]

PreviousNext

Return to Permanent Links